Amazon and Hachette debate

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Amazon and Hachette debate

Post by TheCollector »

Hey folks,

I don't know how many of you have been following the media articles between Amazon and Hachette publishing. Personally I've been skimming the articles periodically but not much more.

I found a story today on The Guardian that mentions Stephen King is is siding with Hachette and will be part of the NY Times ad this Sunday. I took some time to read the article and twards the bottom they quote some self published authors including Hugh Howey (author of the Wool series) who support Amazon.... Seems that side thinks the NY times article

"... demonstrates how the top one percent of authors are able to buy their desired media access. For them, a New York Times ad is about the equivalent of a cup of coffee for anyone else, the difference being that the ad leads to a ton of follow-on media coverage."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/a ... ion-amazon

Although admittedly I haven't looked into this enough to pick one side over another, it's the first time I've seen the argument presented in a way that's established authors (like King) vs independents. You guys have any thoughts?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Amazon and Hachette debate

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I had not heard about this until now. I have mixed views, but mostly side with the authors.

Amazon should not be harming the very authors in which its business was built on. But... I like how they have brought prices down.

Hatcett are part of Hodder and Stoughton group, who publish many of the authors I follow.
jhanic

Re: Amazon and Hachette debate

Post by jhanic »

I've been following it a bit (about the same as you, Tomas) but I think what Amazon is doing is just plain wrong. One of the best examples I can think of is their refusal to allow any pre-orders of Rowling's (Robert Galbraith) The Silkworm. Because of this, I got my UK copy from Waterstone's (at a decent discount, too.)

John