COLLECTOR FORUMS... Ask questions - Get Answers
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 pm 

Anyone ever read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons? I'm in the middle of it now and it's very good. It's long (900+ pages), but if you like your horror mixed with historical events, you'll like it.

You can buy it in paperback, but Sub Press is doing a special edition to be released this year:

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mercha ... t_Count=98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 pm 

blg wrote:
Anyone ever read "The Terror" by Dan Simmons? I'm in the middle of it now and it's very good. It's long (900+ pages), but if you like your horror mixed with historical events, you'll like it.

You can buy it in paperback, but Sub Press is doing a special edition to be released this year:

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mercha ... t_Count=98

I read it a while ago. I really enjoyed it. It makes you wonder what you would have done if you were one of the crew on that boat. I would not, however, recommend reading it in the winter! :D

John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 am 

I am going to read Night Shift again after this. I like the short stories he wrote when he was drunk, on dope, and selling his stuff to dirty magazines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

I started raiding my shelves for oldies but goodies - this is the last book in the "tripods" trilogy. Kind of like War of the Worlds IF the aliens didn't die from infection.... Enslavement of man followed by a desperate attempt at regaining freedom.

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
--Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:32 am 

TheCollector wrote:

I started raiding my shelves for oldies but goodies - this is the last book in the "tripods" trilogy. Kind of like War of the Worlds IF the aliens didn't die from infection.... Enslavement of man followed by a desperate attempt at regaining freedom.

These books were serialized in comic strip form in a magazine I used to subscribe to for Boy Scouts called 'Boys Life' back in the 80's. I had forgotten much about the series and had falsely remembered it being 'War of the Worlds'. Thanks for refreshing my memory with your post. I wouldn't mind reading these just for nostalgic purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's realy a great yet easy read. Here's a wikipedia article on the series for anyone that's interested. The article mentions a movie may be in the works.... If it goes big budget it should be pretty sweet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tripods

On a related note I noticed I had a Sword of the Sprits trillogy in my case by the same author...I don't ever remember reading it though! So as soon as I polish of this weeks Time magazine I'll be reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Spirits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 pm 

Falling Angel - William Hjortsberg - 1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin

I recognize that cover; i'm not sure if i actually read the book or not, but I remember thinking the cover was realy cool, this was years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:34 pm 

TheCollector wrote:
I recognize that cover; i'm not sure if i actually read the book or not, but I remember thinking the cover was realy cool, this was years ago.

This book was the basis for the Mickey Rourke movie 'Angel Heart'. I saw the movie long ago, but so far it hasn't spoiled this book one bit. A VERY good read so far, IMO.

Centipede Press (remember those guys?) has re-issued this book in harcover - http://www.centipedepress.com/fallingangel.html , but I got the TPB off amazon. It has a letter from Stephen King in the back thanking the publisher for the advance copy and praising the book.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:09 am 

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (about a quarter of the way through, haven't read any more for a while though)
The Truth by Terry Pratchett (I'm trying to read all of his books...at least all of the Discworld series. Again, haven't read any for a while)

Also, I finished The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman about one and a half hours ago. I've read it before but I'd forgotten how good it is. I have a few books to read but I don't like having loads of books on the go at once, so I'm waiting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next