Christine First Edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
lytefall

Christine First Edition

Post by lytefall »

Relatively new to SK and then got hooked on collecting SK. I got a very good deal on a large collection of SK books ($60) for about 85% of his complete works with about half being first editions. Of my outstanding books Christine is one of them.

I have a question about the DJ though. I just went to buy what was advertised as a 1st edition but when I got there, although everything else was as it should be according to the identifiers on this site, the DJ price was $20.95 instead of $16.95. I have come across this a couple of times (everything else matches the list of identifiers but the DJ price is more). I declined the purchase.

Just wondering what the difference was so I know for the future.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Christine First Edition

Post by TheCollector »

So this is a later printing. I can't tell you the exact edition but by referencing the prices of other King books at the time we can narrow down the date your book was published.

1st ed Christine = $16.95 (published in 1983)

1st edition Misery = $18.95 (published in 1987)
1st edition The Dark Half = $21.95 (published in 1989)

Now King didn't publish a major novel in 1988 but since your copy has a cover price of $20.95 it sits pretty comfortably right in between the 1987 and 1989 prices so it's a pretty reasonable guess to say your copy was issued in 1988.

I use this trick a lot to narrow down when a book was published. It's pretty useful when you get an email with someone (usually politely) letting me know their "1st edition" copy of The Stand has a price of $14.95 & I should correct the pricing error on my site ;)
lytefall

Post by lytefall »

Thanks for the reply. So what would this be considered? A 1st edition/xx printing? Sorry if that's a newb question. I have been trying to read all I can on the topic of collecting SK.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

lytefall wrote:Thanks for the reply. So what would this be considered? A 1st edition/xx printing? Sorry if that's a newb question. I have been trying to read all I can on the topic of collecting SK.
Yes, when we say it's a second (or third, or whatever) printing, to be exact, it's a first edition, second printing. Among collectors, however, a first edition means only a first edition, first printing.

The foremost site on collecting King is:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/for ... n-s-Corner

Check it out, and don't be shy about asking questions. We ALL started out as newbies!

John