To unwrap or not to unwrap?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
stkmw02

To unwrap or not to unwrap?

Post by stkmw02 »

I just purchased first edition, first printing DT II and DT III. They arrived shrink-wrapped.

Are these items more valuable if they remain in the shrink-wrap or wouldn't it matter if I opened them?
ELazansky

Re: To unwrap or not to unwrap?

Post by ELazansky »

I think everyone has a different opinion on this. IMO, books are meant to be looked at, etc., so I take all the shrinkwrap off of all of my books. I know some folks leave the shrink on the slipcases of some S/L editions, and I can understand that. But they slit the wrap enough to actually look at the book. But to leave a book sealed for all of eternity just so it can be "worth" more...not for me.
stkmw02

Post by stkmw02 »

ELazansky wrote:I think everyone has a different opinion on this. IMO, books are meant to be looked at, etc., so I take all the shrinkwrap off of all of my books. I know some folks leave the shrink on the slipcases of some S/L editions, and I can understand that. But they slit the wrap enough to actually look at the book. But to leave a book sealed for all of eternity just so it can be "worth" more...not for me.
That's usually how I feel as well. Especially since I don't intend to resell unless I part with my entire collection. But to see these in the shrink-wrap... it's hard to just rip them open! lol
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Unwrap them! Some shrink wraps can, over time, adhere to the dust jacket and can't be removed without damaging the jacket.

John
stkmw02

Post by stkmw02 »

As of this morning, both are unwrapped... and I'm very happy with the decision. The moment I saw Oy on the paste-down, I didn't care if the book would have been worth a million in shrink-wrap. :lol: