Value of PC copies

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
TWilson

Value of PC copies

Post by TWilson »

What do you guys think about the value of PC copies? I've heard that they are worth more and they are worth less. Some good prices out there on PC copies. Not sure what to think. Does it come down to personal preference?
jhanic

Re: Value of PC copies

Post by jhanic »

Yes, it really comes down to the individual collector's personality. Some collectors really like these PC copies, while others don't. A numbered/lettered copy is unique (only it has that number/letter) while there can be an indeterminate number of PC copies, depending on the publisher. This makes a difference to a lot of collectors.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I personally would not have a PC copy in my collection. If I did, it would only be a stop gap until I could get a numbered/lettered copy.

I do not know of any serious collector who collects them, and I invite anyone to name one.

The Grant S/L of The Dark Tower series is the only exception I can think of, and even then, it's only 3 collectors who have a full set.

The PC copies on ebay sell for a lot less than a numbered or lettered copy.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I agree. If I can get one cheaply or it is offered under circumstances that are agreeable to me, I'll take one, but for the most part I do not seek them out.
However, as a collector I'd still like to have one of every limited I collect.
TWilson

Post by TWilson »

Thanks for the input! I've got all my 1st/1st and now in the middle of obtaining the S/Ls and couldn't help but notice the #of PCs out there and the lower price in most cases.

Good luck with your respective collections!

Appreciate the feedback!

Tim
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Personally I find PC copies a relatively easy way to get a matching set. (Relative being the key word here)

Its true they're not my top focus (I prefer a low # series) I'd much rather have 4 books all listed as PC then unmatching high numbers all over the place. I know that others out there do collect PC copies as I've seen PC "sets" of the Dark Tower series and other muliple PC copies out on the market from time to time.

This is my personal collecting preference here, don't take it as some rule in collecting but

Matching # > Very low# > PC > High number

The fact that PC's are attractively priced right now just represents even a better bang for your buck over copy 1427/1500 for me.
ur2ndbiggestfan

However, I would have a certain interest in having number 1500 of 1500, as much as it would be nice having number 1 of 1500.

The lowest number(s) I've ever gotten on any limited edition is 5, and the lowest (or I should say earliest I suppose) letter on a lettered edition is - drum roll please - "A"!

None of these are Stephen King books though.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I have #5 of the 450 copies of A Life in the Cinema, which has King's Introduction and is also signed by him. That's my lowest number.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

My lowest number is 2 of 100, but that means nothing to me. The only number that matters to me is #1 or letter A.
ur2ndbiggestfan

I once received a Matheson lettered book that had NO letter on the letter/number line. I was informed by the publisher they had forgotten to put the letter there, and just to put an "M" on the line myself. Of course I left it blank, but say I had put an "A" there. What would distinguish this book from the real "A" one? I suppose it's an interesting theoretical debate. But it really means little to me, I just wanted the book.