Nightmares First Edition ID Marks

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
twindley

Nightmares First Edition ID Marks

Post by twindley »

Hi SK fans, looking for info on idenifying a first edition of Nightmares in the Sky. If you know how it should be marked PLMK. thx - Tim
jhanic

Re: Nightmares First Edition ID Marks

Post by jhanic »

I'll have to dig out my copy and see. It's amazing that it's not listed in any of the first edition listings of King's works that I can find!

John
twindley

Post by twindley »

found it listed on King`s site under non fiction and on Ebays king bibliography but no mentions of ID markings
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

In Justin Brooks' Primary Bibliography, he states that there was only one printing.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

it's not listed because it is not a King Book. It is a photoghraphy book that king wrote a long introduction in. The sample proof has all of the King text, and that's why it is listed as the "1st appearance" in Brooks' Bibliography

I used to have a second printing, but sold it a while ago.
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

Rabbit Trick is 100% correct that it really should not be classified as a King book, per se. But I will defer to someone like George Beahm in saying it has become associated with King and I think it deserves some kind of inclusion with King's other works. That's a lame argument to make since the same could be said about his grocery list if pulled from the trash, but I’m sticking with it right now. ;)

Anyway, I believe there was only one printing, but I also remember... I think it was Bev way back in the days of alt.books.stephenking stating there was two printings, or two dates of release... something like that. After reading what Bev wrote, I immediately ran to my bookcase to see which one I had. I remember that part clear as day… I just don’t remember what I was looking for. Damn fuzzy memory. I know there was something in the book that denoted a different issue. I just can't think what that difference is.

I guess it might also make a difference in price if the one you have is not remarqued with a black marker on the bottom edge pages. Could that be where the confusion lies? Remarques and non-remarques?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Those wouldn't be remarques. Those would be remainder markings. A remarque is a drawing within the book done by the artist. No big deal. A remainder mark does somewhat lower the value of a book, though.

John
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Bought the day it came out.
needfulthings

Post by needfulthings »

I'm sorry but Nightmares in the Sky is a Stephen King book! It may be just an essay but Mr King is the ONLY author of the text as stated on the cover. He is also given Full credit on the spine along with f-stop Fitgerald in fact he is given top billing and it falls in the category of a COFFEE TABLE BOOK.
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

jhanic wrote:Those wouldn't be remarques. Those would be remainder markings.
John

Doh!!!

Long day at work and I write remarque instead of remainder. :oops:

Anyway, I am at home and had a look at my copy. I show the same copywrite page that Lurker has in his/her picture, but I still can't shake the memory that Bev Vincent did mention a different edition on ABSK. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

For some reason the color of the boards comes to mind now... Gray instead of black. Or am I completely off base?