Signed and inscribed

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
MikeDuke

Signed and inscribed

Post by MikeDuke »

Lets assume that you find a a copy of an early work that has been eluding you. It is signed but it is also inscribed with a little note and someone else's name. You are confident it is authentic. Would it bother anybody that someone else's name is part of the inscription?
jhanic

Re: Signed and inscribed

Post by jhanic »

A lot of collectors prefer an inscription plus signature (even if the name on the inscription is not theirs) because it gives even more authentication to the book. There are some collectors, however, that prefer a simple signature. I myself fall in the first category--an inscription lends more authority to the autograph. A date helps even more, and the earlier the date, the better.

John
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

Thanks. This book has an inscription that is pretty long in my opinion. It is also dated and ends with his name as well.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

John is correct in saying that is a personal preference. I have dozens of signed King books, but very few have an inscription. I prefer any inscription to be to me personally.
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

The only other signed ones I have are from the DT collection. I have and that signed Under the Dome. But one of my DT, The Drawing of the three, is signed and inscribed as well. I have not seen to many Night Shift first ed being sold at a place I would trust so I decided to just get it.