Pet Cemetery DJ

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
lophophoras

Re: Ask and ye shall recieve

Post by lophophoras »

Lurker wrote:In trying to 1. get all the King "stuff" in one room and 2. organize it; it has started to dawn on me about variant DJ's. I only recently learned of the Insomina variant - and I'm betting there may be more than the few I know about (Pet Sem; Tommyknockers;UTD.) I did notice in checking the 1st editions section both of the Insomina variants are shown - is it possible to show all the others? I'd like to know if and what I may be missing...
I think I read somewhere that Rose Madder 1st/1st has four different variant covers.

:shock:
jhanic

Re: Pet Cemetery DJ

Post by jhanic »

I'm aware of three, two of which were never officially offered. The most common (but still fairly scarce) of the two is:

This differs from the trade in that the title is on one line and King's name is in black and and smaller. Interestingly, this is the one shown on eBay if you choose the Stock Photo!

The second that I know of is identical to the trade edition except that the Viking logo is missing from the spine. I know of only one of these in collector's hands (and it doesn't belong to me!)

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I never knew that about the ROSE MADDER jackets. Another quest to begin!
I picked this book up cheap. There is no price and no dust jacket, published by Little Brown in the UK in 1999. Is this a book club edition or is it missing a jacket? Anyone know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

First, I want to say that I have figured out there IS another unused variation of the Rose Madder dust jacket--it's identical to the trade jacket except King's name is in red!

Second, there are a number of different omnibus editions of King's works that were put out by Little Brown. In 1994, there was Carrie/Tommyknockers and in 1999, Cujo/Dead Zone. I'm pretty sure there was at least one more, but I have them all boxed away and nothing else shows on my listings. If I remember correctly, both did have dust jackets. Neither was very expensive--I got both for $21.95 each, including shipping.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

All 3 books should have dustjackets with a price of £9.99 on each of them.

ur2ndbiggestfan

Thanks again for the info. I will add these to my two mile long King want list. I'm glad I bought my omnibus cheap, since it doesn't have the dust wrapper! Great picture!
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Got the 2nd state in today - but now it's clean white, non-faded jacket makes my 1st jacket look rather yellowed and faded.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Is the book itself still a 1st printing? Or was the 2nd state jacket on a 2nd or later edition of the book? Also, did the seller have another of the 2nd state jackets, as I am also interested in getting one.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

The book is a first - states First edition on C page; gutter code Y38. That was one thing that I wasn't sure about in reading all the blurbs by booksellers - some stated a book as a first ed., but would say gutter code Y40. Is that still a first?

The seller has a website, but only sells books thro ABE - the only other 2nd state he had listed is blurbed this way:
PET SEMATARY
King, Stephen
Bookseller: Dale Weber Books (Rochester, MI, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating
Quantity Available: 1

Book Description: Doubleday, New York, 1983. Hardbound. Book Condition: Near VG. Dust Jacket Condition: Near VG. First Edition (stated). Binding cocked, else near VG in near VG second state dj. Bookseller Inventory # 4153
Price: US$ 15.00

The one I ordered was described as near F/F but slightly shaken, for $30.00. I find it to be in really quite good condition, so I'm satisfied. There are several other sellers with 2nd state jackets listed there too.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

A Pet Semetary with the gutter code Y40 is NOT a first.

John