Help identifying edition of The Stand

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
joetheguy

Help identifying edition of The Stand

Post by joetheguy »

I'm trying to identify which edition of The Stand I own. I've been all over the internet but can't seem to find a positive ID. I stumbled upon this website and was hoping some hardcore King fan might be able to help me out.

It's a 1978 publishing by Doubleday. It has 823 pages. It has a Z5 on page 823. The book jacket is illustrated by John Cayea. It has a price of $17.95 on the inner flap. ISBN 0-385-12168-7.

It has some of the markers of a first edition but I can't be sure.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks very much in advance.

-Legend
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: Help identifying edition of The Stand

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I know it's not a first because of the price and the code on page 823, which are $12.95 and T39 on the 1st/1st.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Yeah definitely not a first. The price on the DJ give some clue as to the year it was published. Books sell at a pretty standard price and rise over time. We know that the 1st edition, published in '78 sold for $12.95

By the mid/late 1980's SK books were going for over $20, so that leaves us with the early 80's. If you check out Christine ('83) the publisher's price was $16.95 which is pretty close to the $17.95 of your book

Sure not the same book, or even the same publisher but it get's us in the ballpark.

So we can say you have an early 80's reprint of the original version of the book. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick a year I'd go with 1984.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Acccording to a discussion over at TheDarkTower.com a couple years ago, the letter stands for the year of printing--P =1974, Q=1975, R=1976, etc., while the number stands for the week of that year. Thus, Z5 is the fifth week of 1984. This , however, is just a deduction, but seems valid.

John
joetheguy

Post by joetheguy »

Thanks for all the info, everyone. A friend of mine recently read the book and it reminded me that I had a older copy tucked away on a bookshelf. That inspired me to check out just which version I had exactly. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of the complete and uncut one just to have it.

Thanks again!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The Uncut Stand is much, much better than the older version. It's deeper in story and characterization. You won't regret reading it.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I could hardly put down either version, but I had to after a while because my arms got sore holding those heavy books. Both of THE STANDS and FIRESTARTER are my favorite all-time Stephen King books.