Tommyknocker First

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
fcsaunders

Tommyknocker First

Post by fcsaunders »

Hello, I am preparing to sell my King editions and have made liberal use of your wonderful website to confirm my 1st editions. Your note on Tommyknockers says that the copyright page should include a note about permissions. My volume has the numbers 1 thru 10 listed on the CR page, but not the statement about permissions. Where should I find this statement and what can you tell me about my copy? Any help appreciated.
Clacke

Re: Tommyknocker First

Post by Clacke »

Hello. As far as i know, a quantity of the books of the first print run were printed with the words 'permissions to come' on the copyright page by mistake, but this was then corrected and the actual permissions were printed on the rest. Maybe your book is one of those that carries the actual permissions. I'm not sure if both versions are classed as first editions though.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I've always considered both versions to be first editions, first printings. I would classify the one without the "Permissions to Come" statement to be the second state, however. As far as I know, both were issued in about the same numbers (about 600,000 each, for a total of about 1,200,000 first printings.) Also, two states of the dust jacket covers were issued, one with red lettering and the other with gold, at the same time and with about the same quantities. When I bought my copies, they were all intermixed on the store shelves, with the Permissions to Come ones and those without, and the red and gold covers all together.

John
fcsaunders

Post by fcsaunders »

Thank you both for your kind answers. I guess I can't go wrong as long as I accurately identify the volume. At least I now know why/how the "permissions" note came about. Fran
millertek

Post by millertek »

exactly - we know the permissions statement would make it a FIRST STATE, but in the end - this book is not SO valueable that this really matters....any first edition is kool to have no matter what. note they even have different color printings on the cover, too...red or gold - so either way don't sweat it....