Early BCE vs Later Printings

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
abcarr

Early BCE vs Later Printings

Post by abcarr »

I'm new to book collecting but I've found out early on that BCEs aren't very valuable or desirable. But are early BCEs of hard-to-find 1st editions worth buying or should I stick to later printings of the same book if a 1st edition can't be found or is priced out of my price range? For example, the dust jacket of the early BCE of Salem's Lot is very similar to the 1st edition in that it says "A New Novel by the Author of Carrie" instead of "By The Author of Carrie" (later prints) and there is no anchor on the spine above the word Doubleday, where on later prints the anchor has been added.

Thanks for any input or advise!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Early BCE vs Later Printings

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Collect what you want and can afford.

A lot of people buy poor copies of books because they want to "fill a space" on their shelves and then upgrade when they can afford it. I used to do this until I realised I was wasting my money.

I have found it is better to wait, rather than buy spacefillers. You also save a lot of money if you can be patient and wait for a good price.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Collect what you want and can afford.

A lot of people buy poor copies of books because they want to "fill a space" on their shelves and then upgrade when they can afford it. I used to do this until I realised I was wasting my money.

I have found it is better to wait, rather than buy spacefillers. You also save a lot of money if you can be patient and wait for a good price.
I couldn't have said it better myself (and didn't :))
harryjon

Post by harryjon »

Are all non book club hardcover books made with acid free paper? Are any book club books made with acid free paper?

-----------------------------
Complete Guide About Cheap Car Insurance Quotes. Get Best Auto Insurance Quotes. Compare Insurance Companies in United States.
Last edited by harryjon on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

harryjon wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:58 pm Are all non book club hardcover books made with acid free paper? Are any book club books made with acid free paper?
I can't definitively say but I think most are not made with acid free paper. Both for trade and BC editions