COLLECTOR FORUMS... Ask questions - Get Answers
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: List of Earliest Book Club Edition Printings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 pm 

Does a list exist showing the earliest printing dates for specific book club editions of Doubleday King? These dates would be actual dates and/or the earliest known gutter codes. The dates/codes would represent the "first printing" of each of these book club editions. (I know the general key for gutter codes exists, but I can't locate a list matching titles with known gutter codes for those titles.) If this list does not exist, let's put one together. It would be a useful reference.

I thought of this today because I recently picked up a book club edition of the Stand with a gutter code of T45, which corresponds to the 45th week (July 9-July 15) of 1978. That's only six weeks after the first printing date of the first edition (gutter code T39). Given how close the dates are, I became curious if any other book club editions of the Stand were printed closer to the first edition date. Are there any collectors who look to obtain the earliest or "first" book club editions?

Post subject: Re: List of Earliest Book Club Edition Printings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 pm 

Sounds like you have a later printing book with a Book Club jacket.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 am 
Site Admin

No, there's nothing like that for BC editions.

Since BC editions are not overly collectible on the secondary market and there's no price difference between different book club printings the desire to hunt down that info was never there.

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
--Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:10 pm 

I certainly agree that book club editions are not especially collectible. But two considerations. 1) Many Stephen King collectors want to track down unusual or nuanced collections, beyond what's traditionally collectible. And they're especially interested in "first" and "early" editions, no matter the format. And 2) Many Stephen King collectors simply cannot afford first editions of King's early work. A first printing of the first book club edition (as opposed to, say, later SK Library book club editions) is a consolation prize.

I also agree that book club editions are not priced uniquely. But surely that's in part because there isn't good information on how to differentiate those copies. They're perceived as all alike, even if some were printed several years before others. If sellers and collectors had better information, like the handy list I'm proposing, there would likely be more discrimination in pricing and buying.