Which edition of Thinner is this??

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Masemob

Which edition of Thinner is this??

Post by Masemob »

Well I found 2 Bachman editions of Thinner this week in local thrift stores. I was pretty excited. One is clearly a BCE: smaller size, less pages, no price on DJ and marked as a BCE.

The other one I have no clue. It's the right size and page count for a 1st edition. The isbn number is correctly printed on the back of the DJ. No mention or markings of a BCE anywhere. However, there is no price on the DJ and the copyrights page does not mention it's a 1st edition nor does it have any number lines to indicate so. What the heck do I have?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Which edition of Thinner is this??

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

A large and a small BCE Thinner. Quite common for there to be different sizes of the book club editions.
Masemob

Post by Masemob »

That's what I initially thought too. The isbn an plain markings threw me off.

Thanks!
skcollector44

Post by skcollector44 »

Or, you may have a bce and a "cheap edition" or "reprint edition" (not to be confused with a "facsimile edition" that attempts to recreate the look of the first edition down to nearly every detail). The term "book club edition" is often used to describe any cheaper or smaller version of a first edition, but technically it is just an edition that has been re-issued under the imprint of an actual book club, with cheaper materials to reduce the cost. Sometimes, however, the publishers of first editions may themselves create a less costly edition, with cheaper materials, and directly distribute it rather than go through a book club. There are many such cheap editions and/or reprints of Stephen King books, including current works. They are usually the same size as the first edition rather than the smaller size of the book club edition and are not marked as a "book club edition" and not priced.