http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/forums/

'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1748
Page 1 of 1

Author:  kokolores [ Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:18 am ]
Post subject:  'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Does anybody know of a 'Salem's Lot' first edition (Doubleday) that has red endpapers and past downs? I have a copy with said red endpapers. It does not look like a book conservationist did a job on the book, but likewise all true first editions seem to have white endpapers. Does anyone know the answer? And yes, all first edition points are met: first edition on copyright page, correct gutter code; 2nd state dust jacket with Father Cody and $7.95

Author:  TrueNorth [ Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

kokolores wrote:
Does anybody know of a 'Salem's Lot' first edition (Doubleday) that has red endpapers and past downs? I have a copy with said red endpapers. It does not look like a book conservationist did a job on the book, but likewise all true first editions seem to have white endpapers. Does anyone know the answer? And yes, all first edition points are met: first edition on copyright page, correct gutter code; 2nd state dust jacket with Father Cody and $7.95



I can only think of two explainations:

1. DoubleDay had the book in the bindry department for collating. Someone had grabbed the wrong stock for the endpages and had already put a few together before it was noticed. Knowing DoubleDay's quality they would let it slide.

2. The book has been rebuilt and the owner chose red.

You do have a mystery. I have never seen anything but white.

Author:  TheCollector [ Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

I don't have the answer either, but OP sent me the pics I'm posting them below in case anyone else can chime in.

Author:  Mr. Rabbit Trick [ Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Probably had library card or owners name on the originals.

Author:  TheCollector [ Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Probably had library card or owners name on the originals.



Could you elaborate a little? I don't think this is a topic that's ever come up. Is there something in the photos that shows you someone replaced the end papers (aside from the fact the color isn't right). Or is there a post somewhere with a how-to on replacing end papers?

Author:  Mr. Rabbit Trick [ Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

TheCollector wrote:
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
Just as I expected. Someone has replaced the end papers. It is a simple job to remove the old ones and glue in new ones.

Probably had library card or owners name on the originals.



Could you elaborate a little? I don't think this is a topic that's ever come up. Is there something in the photos that shows you someone replaced the end papers (aside from the fact the color isn't right). Or is there a post somewhere with a how-to on replacing end papers?


Apart from the wrong color, the corner folds are not well done. There are dozens of "How to replace book end papers" online. Here is a link for the lazy ones :)

http://www.bookthink.com/0076/76alt.htm

Author:  TheCollector [ Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 'Salem's Lot' first edition endpapers

Thanks for the explanation and link! I do love to be lazy :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/