Rare Carrie Paperback?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
RedPromDress

Rare Carrie Paperback?

Post by RedPromDress »

Hello to all,
This is my first post. I am a big Stephen King collector, and I seem to have what I think is a pretty rare paperback of Carrie, as I never see it for sale on the Internet. I’m not trying to sell it; I basically just want to know how many were made and a rough estimate of worth. It is a 1975 New English Library edition. I can’t seem to add my photo, here is a link to a page with the exact cover, but it has the wrong year. https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?276502

Thanks!
CHEROKEEBRUCE

Re: Rare Carrie Paperback?

Post by CHEROKEEBRUCE »

It looks like this could be a 1st edition U.K. paperback edition Check inside it will tell you if this is a first printing or if it has been printed before..As I only collected movie tie-in paperback books this was for sure printed before the film & King being an unknown writer at the time I assume the print run was rather low. If your book is in good shape I think it may be worth some money to the right collector.
Hope this helps being someone living outside the U.K.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

RedPromDress sent me an email about this earlier today. I don't follow most paperbacks so my general thought was that it couldn't be worth more than the 1st edition paperbacks are. That being said I could find very little on this book and the copyright page wasn't much help (to me) so I suggested she post here for some sage advice!

Here's the photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedPromDress

Post by RedPromDress »

CHEROKEEBRUCE wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:21 pm It looks like this could be a 1st edition U.K. paperback edition Check inside it will tell you if this is a first printing or if it has been printed before..As I only collected movie tie-in paperback books this was for sure printed before the film & King being an unknown writer at the time I assume the print run was rather low. If your book is in good shape I think it may be worth some money to the right collector.
Hope this helps being someone living outside the U.K.
Yes, it’s an NEL open market first edition, 1975. I was just wondering if anyone knew more about it. Thanks and have a good day.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

That was the first Stephen King book I bought. I was hooked from them. It's not that rare in the condition in the pictures. Worth about £15. In fine condition it would be worth £50 to £60. (It's in £s because it's a UK book.)
RedPromDress

Post by RedPromDress »

Ok, thank you for the information. :)