Not Sure if First Edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
IamAries

Not Sure if First Edition

Post by IamAries »

Hi, I currently own a copy of 11/22/63 and Wolves of The Calla. I'm a little confused as it contains all the numbers of the 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 code except the first number 1. Is it possibly a first edition of a later printing?
jimimck

Re: Not Sure if First Edition

Post by jimimck »

If they are missing the number one, that indicates they are second edition printings. The lowest number on the line is what edition the book is I think.
IamAries

Post by IamAries »

Thanks so much. I guess I'm going to have to look out and re-buy them.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

There IS one exception to this: King and Straub's trade edition of Black House. All the first printings of this had a number line starting with a "2". I guess Random House decided to do things differently.

John
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Older books are harder to determine where they have to say first edition and some of King's books have to have the proper address on the copyright page and some have specific gutter codes. Newer books are easier since they have much higher print runs. If there is a number line, you always use the lowest number in the line to determine print run. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10, 1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 are two examples. The lowest number "1" means a first printing. So if a print run is 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2 or 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 then that means 3rd printing....and so forth.

Some books may simply say first edition only. This site is amazing for the actual listings of the collectible King books. Another site for famous books is fedpo.com it shows the older books and the uniqueness of first editions first printings. Don't forget that you also have to have a price on the dust jacket. Unless it is book club that was the only edition. Time for a beer huh? :)