COLLECTOR FORUMS... Ask questions - Get Answers
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't ID this copy of 'Carrie'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:32 pm 

Hello,

I just grabbed a pile of King stuff at the fleamarket where I work. I've been sifting through trying to ID them, but I can't find any info that matches the edition of Carrie. I've ruled out First, but the number line is 2 4 6 8 10 11 9 7 5 3 and the only copyright date is 1974. I thought 2nd, because of the '2' in the number line, but I am not too familiar with this kind of thing.

Regardless of it's worth, I'd just like to know more about it. And I'm intrigued that I can't find one sliver of info on the web that matches anything on this copy. Not even an image of the jacket illustration - which is by Jim Phiesen.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Yet another Constant Reader,

VG

Post subject: Re: Can't ID this copy of 'Carrie'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:50 pm 

VideoGarver wrote:
Hello,

I just grabbed a pile of King stuff at the fleamarket where I work. I've been sifting through trying to ID them, but I can't find any info that matches the edition of Carrie. I've ruled out First, but the number line is 2 4 6 8 10 11 9 7 5 3 and the only copyright date is 1974. I thought 2nd, because of the '2' in the number line, but I am not too familiar with this kind of thing.

Regardless of it's worth, I'd just like to know more about it. And I'm intrigued that I can't find one sliver of info on the web that matches anything on this copy. Not even an image of the jacket illustration - which is by Jim Phiesen.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Yet another Constant Reader,

VG

Hi VG,

We'll need more info on this book. It's a second printing (because of the number line), but is it a paperback or hardcover? If you could post a picture of it, that would be a great help.

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:10 pm 

Couldn't upload directly, but try these links for the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l349o1qnroqyj ... 8.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28vkdsqtxxeou ... 4.jpg?dl=0

It is a hardcover, with gold lettering on the spine. DJ price is $20.00 US, $25.00 Canada. On the back inside flap under the cover artist's name is "Printed in the U.S.A." and the numbers "0590". Final page # is 181.

If I can provide anything else, let me know.

Thanks!

VG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:07 am 

VideoGarver wrote:
Couldn't upload directly, but try these links for the pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l349o1qnroqyj ... 8.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28vkdsqtxxeou ... 4.jpg?dl=0

It is a hardcover, with gold lettering on the spine. DJ price is $20.00 US, $25.00 Canada. On the back inside flap under the cover artist's name is "Printed in the U.S.A." and the numbers "0590". Final page # is 181.

If I can provide anything else, let me know.

Thanks!

VG

Hi VG,

It's a reprint from the 1990s. As a collectible, it's not worth too much, except for some real completists. I'm not real sure why the number line, though. It ws part of a series that, I think, only lasted through Night Shift (three books).

John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 pm 

Okay, cool. Mystery solved - sort of. Still curious why I didn't see one pic of that particular cover while searching the web.

Thanks for the info! It will go on the shelf with the others.

VG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Admin

VideoGarver wrote:
Okay, cool. Mystery solved - sort of. Still curious why I didn't see one pic of that particular cover while searching the web.

Thanks for the info! It will go on the shelf with the others.

VG

I think that's because, for the most part people only take the time out to post and then tag a picture of a King book because it's rare or of some other interest (book signing, etc). Most people aren't writing ariticles with photos about this particular reprint so it's not going to show up at the top of your search results

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
--Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:25 am 

The Full Dark No Stars you are describing is what is commonly call an unbound proof and is usually for internal office use. The Dark Man you describe is an uncorrected proof or sometimes called and advance reading copy and is sent out early for review. As for how to prove it is legit I would say just keep all the pare work show when you received it from Cemetery Dance. Other than that maybe Brian can tell us more.