Identifying carrie edition.

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Spocksrage

Identifying carrie edition.

Post by Spocksrage »

Does anyone know what the code mp3z means? I recently bought a copy of carrie. I know the book isn't a first but it says 1974 on the front page and mp3z on a couple pages from the back. Can anyone identify what edition the book is?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Identifying carrie edition.

Post by TheCollector »

Howdy,

I think you may have sent me a separate email about this last night as well so I'll reply to that too. an MP3Z code is outside of the normal doubleday gutter code range. I'm going to cut and paste what's listed on our FAQ page on gutter codes for anyone else that comes across this thread:

I've seen these kind of higher letter codes on some book club editions before. Is there a price on the inner front flap of the dust jacket? If not, then it's a book club edition. If there is a price, let us know what it is.

========
What do the gutter codes on early Doubleday books mean? - The accepted theory is that the letter in the Doubleday gutter code indicates the year the book was printed. The number is the week of the year the printing was done. Keep in mind a book could be printed during the last several weeks of a calendar year but not be released until several weeks later and thus be released in a different year than the printing occurred....So as an example a 1st edition of The Stand has code T39 as the gutter code, that means it was printed the 39th week of 1978. If your copy has V22 that means you have a later printing that was printed the 22nd week of 1980. Here is a wiki page that expands on the codes https://isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Gutter_code
P = 1974 U = 1979
Q = 1975 V = 1980
R = 1976 W = 1981
S = 1977 X = 1982
T = 1978 Y = 1983
=======
millertek

Post by millertek »

would like to see a pic of that gutter code...was not aware they were still including those codes nowadays. In any case, you must have the proper Dust Jacket with price, etc as well....
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

millertek wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:03 pm would like to see a pic of that gutter code...was not aware they were still including those codes nowadays. In any case, you must have the proper Dust Jacket with price, etc as well....
I never heard back via email either on this but I'm suspecting it was a BCE. I rarely look for gutter codes on BCE editions but I've had a few people email me over the years with similar rando gutter codes that were BCE.
bperry1397

Post by bperry1397 »

I have a signed Carrie with a V8 gutter code. Signed in Nov 1980. Apparently printed earlier that year. $7.95 price on dw.