Dating a Carrie edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
downs1418

Dating a Carrie edition

Post by downs1418 »

I have come across an edition of Carrie but have some questions.

It has a first edition cover and does not indicate book club edition. It has a price of $15.95 on the DJ. It has a copyright date of 1974 but does not indicate number of printings. Page 199 has a gutter code of AA42. The book and DJ are in very good condition. Binding is tight and pages are clean.

My questions are in regard to what printing is this edition? Also, what is an appropriate price for this copy? Between the price and gutter code, I'm guessing the printing date to be around 1983-1984. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.
jhanic

Re: Dating a Carrie edition

Post by jhanic »

I'd say, if the condition is near fine/fine, value would be around $10-15. Later printings are just not valuable except as space fillers or reading copies.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

There are many later printings of Carrie. They tend to be in much better condition than any 1st edition, but obviously they cost a lot less.

I would recommend these to anyone who is not able to afford the "real deal", over a book club edition.
miserywilkes

Post by miserywilkes »

i once saw a copy of the later (1990 i think) re - release of the Doubleday large book club Carrie with bright orange boards all over (much brighter than the spine of Firestarter's 1st), anyone ever seen a copy like this?, kind of wish i had it myself even if it was a BCE

Owen