Bachman Books Hardcover w/DJ 1st/1st Question

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
RandyinAK

Bachman Books Hardcover w/DJ 1st/1st Question

Post by RandyinAK »

I looked under the first edition section and could find no information on the Hardcover Bachman Books 1st/1st. Can you guys help me out. I have been looking for this book and it appears there are a ton of BCE available and no 1st editions. Can anyone verify that a true first edition of this will have a price inside (what was the cost?) of the DJ and a full number line on the Publishers page. Anyone verify this?
Thanks
jhanic

Re: Bachman Books Hardcover w/DJ 1st/1st Question

Post by jhanic »

Hi Randy,

There were only approximately 15,000 copies of the first/first printing done in hardcover. Price on the dust jacket was $19.95. They have the full number line.

Check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... -+Trade+HC

John
RandyinAK

Post by RandyinAK »

Thanks a ton,,,, I'll keep looking for one
Randy
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I actually asked the collector about that when I replied to a question he had about the "Eye of the Dragon" first/first. He told me that the hardcover came after the paperback, so he didn't consider it a "true" first/first. To me, I'd rather have the hardback over any paperback simply because paperbacks fall apart when you just look at them. As for value? I would say the hardcover in fine/fine condition is roughly 100-150 plus. I am an idiot because I saw one on e-bay for 145.00 in pretty much as new condition. I added it to my watch list, didn't have the money but could have used a credit card, and went to bed. It sold maybe 5 hours after it's listing. So yes, that one got away!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

allasorte wrote:I actually asked the collector about that when I replied to a question he had about the "Eye of the Dragon" first/first. He told me that the hardcover came after the paperback, so he didn't consider it a "true" first/first. To me, I'd rather have the hardback over any paperback simply because paperbacks fall apart when you just look at them. As for value? I would say the hardcover in fine/fine condition is roughly 100-150 plus. I am an idiot because I saw one on e-bay for 145.00 in pretty much as new condition. I added it to my watch list, didn't have the money but could have used a credit card, and went to bed. It sold maybe 5 hours after it's listing. So yes, that one got away!
The paperback came out well AFTER the trade edition hardcover. The Philtrum Press edition of The Eyes of the Dragon came out in a 1,000-copy numbered edition in 1984, while Viking trade edition didn't come out until 1987. According to my notes, about 400,000 copies of the trade edition first/first were printed. (The proof said it would be an edition of one million copies.) The collector you talked with may have meant the Philtrum edition was the "true" first but was confused.

John
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

John I think you are spot on.

allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I wrote my response wrong. When I was responding to the person asking about the "Bachman Books" I first mentioned "Eye of the Dragon" as a starting point of talking to someone. I should have started a second paragraph. "The Bachman Books" I have heard the hardcover came second. The paper back came first. Was what I was talking about.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The hardcover and the large-size paperback of The Bachman Books were issued at the same time. (I bought them together!)

John
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Here are a couple pics showing what John was saying. HB and PB published the same date by two different companies.