Misery 1st edition?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Stroppygoblin

Misery 1st edition?

Post by Stroppygoblin »

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me out with a recent purchase.
I recently bought a signed Misery 1st/1st from [name removed on advice]. On receipt of the book I checked it against another copy of Misery that I have which I believe to be a genuine 1st/1st. Problem is they are different....

The new signed one has WHITE end papers and is printed by R.R Donelley and Sons, Harrisonburg Virginia
My other copy has RED end papers and is printed by Arcata Graphics, Fairfield Penslyvania.

I am aware that in some cases different printers can be used for 1st editions, however what really sets my alarm bells ringing is that the signed Misery references 'Book of the Month'' ....

Both have 1st/1st dust Jackets.

I have attached images below - I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm if one of these is NOT a 1st/1st.

ke7285

Re: Misery 1st edition?

Post by ke7285 »

Red is the first bottom one is a book of the month, that is what I am seeing.
Stroppygoblin

Post by Stroppygoblin »

ke7285 wrote:Red is the first bottom one is a book of the month, that is what I am seeing.
But whats strange is the bottom one has the printer name that matches the 1st Copyright page shown on The Collector Misery page??? whereas my other copy has the red end plates but a different printer?? :? :?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Stroppygoblin wrote:
ke7285 wrote:Red is the first bottom one is a book of the month, that is what I am seeing.
But whats strange is the bottom one has the printer name that matches the 1st Copyright page shown on The Collector Misery page??? whereas my other copy has the red end plates but a different printer?? :? :?
Ah yes I see what you're saying, the copyright page I have up shows the printer as "Donnelly and Sons" but is lacking the BOTMC line below.... so:

1) I need to go see if I can dig out my 1st ed of Misery to check the end paper color (it's a little buried at the moment) but typically any ADDITIONAL typing on a copyright page would come later on, I don't think I've seen a later printing where they're taking away info, changing it sure, but not removing it. The print that talks about BOTMC also looks different from the rest of the copyright page,

2) It usually takes books a little while to make it into the BOTMC rotation, so it would be highly unlikely that what you've got there is a true 1st/1st. I could be a BOTMC edition but then someone would have had to change out the DJ as BC editions don't have prices on the DJ.

3) Likely a later printing, if the DJ is the one that came with the book then it as to be printed in 1987 or 88 otherwise the price on the DJ would be higher. If it's not the original DJ then it can't be any later than the signature date which is 1994

4) Viking editions can be very hard to authenticate correctly. IF it isn't a 1st/1st I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that the seller was trying to pull a fast one on you, could be an honest mistake.
Stroppygoblin

Post by Stroppygoblin »

Thanks - would be interested to know which printer your copy states.

I have contacted the seller and am very happy to report they take full responsibility for the error and are providing a full refund plus costs to ship the book back. Part of the purchase was a number of other books that were included as 'bonuses' they have graciously allowed me to keep those other books at no additional cost.

Its refreshing to find good service and honourable traders in this day and age. I am positive that had this been an 'Ebay buy' things would not be so simple.

In short - support your local book dealer (even if they ain't that local!)