Different Seasons First DJ?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
stkmw02

Different Seasons First DJ?

Post by stkmw02 »

I'm looking at a copy of Different Seasons with all identifying first edition traits except the price on the dust jacket. Does this mean it is a later printing or edition?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Different Seasons First DJ?

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

It means its a Book Club edition. They often have the same copyright page as a 1st edition, but the true 1st edition always has the price on the jacket.
Jester13

Post by Jester13 »

Hey there,

I also just bought a copy of Different Seasons and I have a little conundrum that I would love to settle...

My copy has all of the characteristics of a 1st edition, 1st printing as well ie. no number line, 0882 code, matching publisher address on DJ and HC, quarter bound blue on blue, the size of the book, however, where my copy falls short is the price as well. Whereas the BCE do not have any price at all on the DJ, mine has a price of $19.95 instead of $16.95.

Through my research into this matter I have found out that some later printings may have a different price. My conclusion so far is that at some point a previous owner may have switched the 1st/1st HC with a later printing DJ.

I'm also thinking that there is a possibility that later printing copies may not have a number line and it is a matching later printing DJ and HC, although I find this possibility unlikely.

I've looked everywhere online and I can't for the life of me find a DJ or any information of a later printing one with a price of $19.95. Please someone help me!!! :)

The only other possibility that I can think of is that this is a misprint, but, again, I find this to be unlikely as well. I would love nothing more than to have someone say that they know of, or have a DJ with the $19.95 price tag so that I can rest easy at night!

This is the kind of stuff I love with book collecting:)
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

My guess (and that's all it is) is that it's a later printing.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'd agree that it's either a flat out later printing, or someone swapping a torn DJ with a "new" one from a later printing. In either case the book would only be worth a few dollars in that state.

I can guarantee you that there are later printings of the book, and the price would go up with inflation. You can make an educated guess at which year it comes from by comparing other 1st editions king wrote at that time...For example:

- Different seasons - published 1982 - Price $16.95
- IT - Published in 1986 - Price $22.95
- Four Past Midnight - Published in 1989 - $22.95

All of these were published by Viking so you can see they jacked the price up by $6 between 1982 - 1986 (Not to surprising if you think of the rampant inflation going on at the time)...Anywhoo, if your DJ has a price of $19.95 then you can guess that it's likely from 1984 or 1985...By 1986 it would have been above $20