The Shining 1st Edition Dust Jackets $8.95

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
OneFathom

The Shining 1st Edition Dust Jackets $8.95

Post by OneFathom »

I've come across a version of The Shining in which the dust jacket has a price as $8.95, but does not have "First Edition" on the copyright page. Am I to believe that the sellers somehow came across a first edition dust jacket and placed it on a non-first edition book or did Doubleday purposely release copies at $8.95 that weren't first editions?

For reference, here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-The-Shinin ... 565b9a43ea

Any help is appreciated.
jhanic

Re: The Shining 1st Edition Dust Jackets $8.95

Post by jhanic »

OneFathom wrote:I've come across a version of The Shining in which the dust jacket has a price as $8.95, but does not have "First Edition" on the copyright page. Am I to believe that the sellers somehow came across a first edition dust jacket and placed it on a non-first edition book or did Doubleday purposely release copies at $8.95 that weren't first editions?

For reference, here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-The-Shinin ... 565b9a43ea

Any help is appreciated.
I would assume you're right--it looks like the seller added a first edition dust jacket to another book. The key would be if the code R49 is in the gutter of page 449. Only the first edition, first printing would have that code.

John
OneFathom

Post by OneFathom »

Thanks for your quick reply, John. Just seemed a bit odd to me the seller would make no mention they had a first edition dust jacket. Perhaps they don't even know themselves. Anyway, thank you again.
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

The actual first edition dust jacket has a slight wrap around on the back show green lions (Later printings didn't have this as far as I know) but to my knowledge the later printings were also slightly bigger than the original printing.