ARC Vs. 1st/1st as collectors items?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
systemcrashoverride

ARC Vs. 1st/1st as collectors items?

Post by systemcrashoverride »

It's actually the OTHER king I'm asking about (no, not Joe. Owen).

I've recently picked up a 1st/1st of Double feature, as well as a Signed 1st/1st of Double Feature and Who Can Save Us Now.

As collectors items, I know they have limited value currently but I'm looking to get copies to read and to keep for the foreseeable future as part of my larger SK/Joe Hill collection.

I've been shopping around online and I've seen ARC copies of novels by both Joe and Owen, typically speaking are they considered more desirable as collectors items? They don't seem to be hard to get at the moment, but I wanted you opinions on weather or not ARC copies are worth hunting down while I can still find them.
jhanic

Re: ARC Vs. 1st/1st as collectors items?

Post by jhanic »

Generally, ARCs and proofs are considered more valuable than the regular 1st/1st editions, but they are of interest to a certain "subset" of collectors (of which I am one regarding Stephen King). One of the major reasons they are more valuable than the 1st/1st editions is that they are produced in MUCH smaller quantities than the trade editions. For example, King's Green Mile paperbacks were done in the 2 million copy range, but the proofs were produced between 60 and 75 copies. That's rather an extreme example, but...

As for the Hill and Owen King ARCs seeming more plentiful now, that situation will change as time goes by--they are "sucked up" into collections, never to be seen again. :-)

John
systemcrashoverride

Post by systemcrashoverride »

And just like that, you've helped me make my decision. If only my wallet would allow for both. I either need to sell off some of my other collections (vintage video games, coin-op hardware, comic books, MTG, etc etc.) or get a second job. Haha.

Thanks for the advice jhanic. Follow up question being, is there anyway to easily determine how many ARC's were printed vs. the number of 1sts? Do the publishing houses typically release these numbers?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

In most cases, it's virtually impossible to say how many ARC/proofs were issued. This number is usually a well-kept secret. There are always exceptions, but, in general, there's no way of knowing.

You have to also remember that the proofs are sent to reviewers, who, after reading them, often discard them. Also, even if they don't discard them, they are far from collectible condition.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

systemcrashoverride wrote:And just like that, you've helped me make my decision. If only my wallet would allow for both. I either need to sell off some of my other collections (vintage video games, coin-op hardware, comic books, MTG, etc etc.) or get a second job. Haha.

Thanks for the advice jhanic. Follow up question being, is there anyway to easily determine how many ARC's were printed vs. the number of 1sts? Do the publishing houses typically release these numbers?

Ah MTG...many of you may not know what I'm talking about here, but system, if you have any dual lands from Alpha - Revised in your stash, they've skyrocketed in value, a few of those will jump-start your collection. If you have any beta Taiga's in there for a reasonable price PM me :)

OK back to King!