One for the Road query

Any questions related to limited editions
jimimck

One for the Road query

Post by jimimck »

Hi team. I've seen this UK limited edition (500), unsigned, of One for the Road.

Can some one give me some details about this?
Tomas, how come this isn't listed on your UK page? I note it isn't listed on the DT.org catalogue either. Is it not considered a King limited for some reason?

Thanks all
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: One for the Road query

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

jimimck wrote:Hi team. I've seen this UK limited edition (500), unsigned, of One for the Road.

Can some one give me some details about this?
Tomas, how come this isn't listed on your UK page? I note it isn't listed on the DT.org catalogue either. Is it not considered a King limited for some reason?

Thanks all
It is not usually considered a "Limited" because King did not sign it. It should be listed under "Gift" editions if anything.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I probably could include that in here. It sort of slipped off my priority list & frankly you're only the 2nd person to ask about it in over a year so it's not very popular (Like Rabbit said, there's no signed edition) combined with the fact it's a short story & previously published in a couple places probably doesn't give it much demand.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks guys.
King didn't sign Riding the Bullet either, so I was just courious if there were any other reasons it wasn't listed.

Tomas, any idea as to its value?

Cheers
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:Thanks guys.
King didn't sign Riding the Bullet either, so I was just courious if there were any other reasons it wasn't listed.

Tomas, any idea as to its value?

Cheers

Actually King did sign Riding the Bullet, but only the lettered edition. While there was quite a bit of grumbling about that, it did that bit of legitimacy to the edition. Also I have to say I don't think the book was promoted very well at all.

Opposite of that, look at "The Art of Darkness" which in my opinion had the highest production value of any limited edition out there....No king signature and the value of the limited edition dropped like a rock even a year past the issue date. To this day it's still going for significantly less then the original issue price.

A real shame, but that's a discussion for another time.

As to value, it's my understanding there are two states. 500 copies completely unsigned and 100 copies signed by the illustrator.

500 copy edition = $125 - $150
100 copy edition = $275 - $325

ebay link here
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks for the info Tomas. Very helpful as usual!

On a similar thought pattern, how about Battleground? King signed the 26 lettered editions, so any thoughts on the value of thoese post publication?
I didn't think this looked very good (layout/font etc), but I guess I should consider picking up an unsigned edition some day...
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

In my mind Battleground was it's own mini project that wasn't so much a limited edition book as an addition to the Movie. I'm probably not phrasing this right, (possibly because I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet this morning ;) ) but to me something like this that focuses so heavily on the movie aspect, vs just the short story isn't in the same category as if they did a limited edition of Night Shift

I guess I'd pair it with limiteds that talk about King stuff (or are anthologies that contain one King story amongst many others (999, ledgends, DT Concordance, etc) which all have limited editions but I don't currently cover on the site.

Oh in terms of value, this is going for under issue price last time I checked. There was a lettered editon up on ebay for $1,200 that didn't get any bids. With the limiteds not being signed they should be going for less than issue price as well.

Ok enough rambling!, if that doesn't make sense let me know!!
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

No you explained that really well thanks!

Makes sense re it falling in to a category similar to the anthologies or books about kings books etc.

Cheers!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

There are several oddities in the King Collecting World. The Signed Limited Taylor Cujo Guitar is one that springs to mind.

They used some wood from a tree on the ranch they filmed the movie. :roll:

This has got nothing to with King's book, and King had nothing to do with it, other than signing the lables.

I would class this as Movie Memorabilia.