Carrie - Advanced Proof

Any questions related to limited editions
the_anch

Carrie - Advanced Proof

Post by the_anch »

Hi All - long time lurker, first time poster. I'm posting as I have what I believe to be an Advanced Proof of Carrie. I'm interested in learning more about these advanced proofs that Doubleday sent out to booksellers in the 1970's. Please check out the attached pictures. Has anyone seen one of these before? There are a few distinguishing characteristics of the book such as:
- on the back, it states "Special Edition, not for sale. To be published April 1974 by Doubleday & Company Inc"
- on Page 199, there is a unique marker in the lower left corner of the page - "O50"

I understand some collectors may not consider these a first edition, but I would assume these are more than rare. Any idea what one of these is worth? What else should I know about this book? Thanks in advance for your help!
Carrie2_Small.jpg
Carrie1_Small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Carrie - Advanced Proof

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

That's an Advance Readers Copy (ARC). There are quite a lot of these. There are 2 actual "Proofs" of Carrie. A cream one and a blue one. Pictures of these can be seen at thedarktower.org
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hey guys, the photos came in ginormous, I put them in as an inline attachment, just click on the file once and it'll pop up right away, Click on it twice and it'll show up in all it's ginormous glory!
the_anch

Post by the_anch »

Thanks for the clarification, Mr Rabbit Trick! And the resizing Collector. Guess it's not as "rare" as I thought! Any idea how many of these were sent out from DoubleDay?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

the_anch wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Mr Rabbit Trick! And the resizing Collector. Guess it's not as "rare" as I thought! Any idea how many of these were sent out from DoubleDay?
I've no idea how many were made, but I know many collectors who have them.

The list on TDT.org does not list the number:
Carrie white cover (O50)
Carrie green cover (P6) (one known copy)
Carrie beige cover (one or two copies known) larger than the green cover one