Dark Tower S/L pay premium for a set or buy individually?

Any questions related to limited editions
fredl

Dark Tower S/L pay premium for a set or buy individually?

Post by fredl »

Hi,
I am looking into getting a S/L set of the Dark Tower books (and "only" those).

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it? My thought (way back when I was a student) was to save up enough $$$ and buy a complete set (this was around the release of DT V). With each new book I kick myself for not getting on the bandwagon earlier. I have even turned down buying a S/L copy from Grant during the big depression when the lottery didn't claim all copies.

There is a matching set with books I - VII on ebay right now with a buy it now price of $9000 which is a lot of money. The chance of getting the matching numbers of Eluria and TWTTK seems slim.

Im in Sweden so the S/H is a factor (also our poor exchange rates, USD/SEK has increased like 30%).

What is the realistic cost for a complete S/L set? If I were to purchase the individual books (and forget matching numbers) is there any order you would recommend? I know that The Gunslinger is one of the most rare books in the series.

Thanks!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Dark Tower S/L pay premium for a set or buy individually

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Current value of a set of Dark Tower S/L I to VII is $7,500.

$9,000 is too much for that set.
fredl

Post by fredl »

Thank you for your input. It is hard to know (for someone who hasn't followed the development since the prequel and mid quel books came out) what value is added for a matching number set.

I put in a bid which apparantly was under the reserve price.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Current value of a set of Dark Tower S/L I to VII is $7,500.

$9,000 is too much for that set.

Whoa, $7,500 for a S/L set of DT 1-7? Did something drop while I wasn't looking?.. I mean if I break down the pieces individually at the low end of prices (not matched) I've got:

DT - 7 = $500
DT - 6 = $500
DT - 5 = $500
DT - 4 = $1,000
DT - 3 = $750
DT - 2 = $1000

So that leaves The gunslinger at $3,250?? (Assuming the 7,500 price). I don't think I've ever seen a S/L Gunslinger go for much under $5,000 in recent memory.

Who's been selling matched sets at $7,500?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

The prices have fallen quite a bit recently. Here are some recent ebay examples...

DT6 - $330
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Tower- ... 7675.l2557

DT7 - $400 Unsold
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Tower- ... 463307f9be

DT5 - $465
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Tower- ... 3f45102bb9

DT3 - $500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Tower- ... 3f44ad2fbf

DT4 - $799 BIN - Unsold (still available)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIZARD-AND-GLAS ... 259d2fb2bb
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

The links aren't working but I'll take your word on the eBay prices, they can often be low.

Still...I'm assuming those would all be unmatched sets, certainly an under #500 matched set should offer a premium to those individual listings. Betts recently had a Matched set that also included WTTKH, LSOE, Black House & Desperation and that sold for $13,000

Even if you generously said those additional 4 books were worth $3,000 that leaves $10,000 for the remaining DT 1-7.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Recent Betts sale with lots of extra same number under 500 books. Only missing Gunslinger...

Partial Dark Tower S/L set #163 - II-VII + LSOE+WTTKH (US + UK) all #163 - $5,500
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:Recent Betts sale with lots of extra same number under 500 books. Only missing Gunslinger...

Partial Dark Tower S/L set #163 - II-VII + LSOE+WTTKH (US + UK) all #163 - $5,500
I think that's the question - how much are we valuing the S/L Gunslinger combined with the set. Let's say I'm going along with the ebay prices you listed

DT 1 - ??
DT 2 - (Not listed but can we say $1,000 that's a little under the usual $1,200ish I usually see and under the $1,100 copy @ betts)
DT 3 - $500 (eBay)
DT 4 - $800 (eBay)
DT 5 - $465 (eBay)
DT 6 - $330 (eBay)
DT 7 - $400 (eBay)

TOTAL value of DT 2-7 = $3,495

So In order to make that $7,500 figure we have to value the S/L Gunslinger at $4,005....I just don't see people parting with their S/L Gunslingers for 4k very often. I'm not saying it hasn't happened ever, and that you couldn't, possibly build out a non-matched set for under $8,000 with the proper amount of patience and a bit of luck.

But where I'm going with this is that in my mind, conceivable non matched at $7,500 isn't the same as saying the current value of a fully matched set all in one place is also $7,500. That's my take on it.

By the way, in case I haven't mentioned it before - I love your posts, you get right to the point - Decisively.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

That same number (445) set sold for $8000 to a guy from Waco, Texas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DARK-TOWER- ... 419056800f
amd013

Post by amd013 »

No, that looks like an earlier attempt from same seller, both auctions ended with reserve not met, one at 8k, one at 7.8K. I personally don't understand the mentality of the reserve, why not raise the start bid to your reserve. Seems like there is not a big delta between his reserve and buy it now price.

Haven't noticed if its back up or not.

Mike