What makes a lettered edition?

Any questions related to limited editions
craigobau

Re: What makes a lettered edition?

Post by craigobau »

Mystery resolved (in a follow-up email from PS this afternoon)......

The 'R' (the example letter I provided based upon a version on ebay) is the first letter of the surname of one of our lifetime customers. Many years ago customers were given the opportunity to pay a lump sum of money and become a lifetime subscriber. This could be for either the unsigned editions or the signed editions. So every time we bring out a new title they automatically receive a copy. Each lifetime subscriber has their own letter or number that goes in the front of each book.

Of course by now these customers are in the fortunate position that they are receiving books for free but this incident has certainly caused us to look at how we manage future titles.

So, a lettered edition, but not "lettered" as known in collector's circle.

Craig
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks Craig!

There is one last question that I would wonder about if you don't mind one more email.

Was the print run actually 750 but fewer were sold because of the lifetime memberships or were there 750 numbered copies plus X number of lifetime memberships? If so how many lifetime memberships like this are there?

So scenerio 1 would be (as an example)
Books are numbered 1-700, the remaining 50 (I'm just guessing as to the number of lifetime memberships) are not numbered and instead get the first letter of the customer

Scenerio 2
Books are numbered 1-750, additional copies are ordered to cover the lifetime memberships.
craigobau

Post by craigobau »

TheCollector wrote:Thanks Craig!

There is one last question that I would wonder about if you don't mind one more email.

Was the print run actually 750 but fewer were sold because of the lifetime memberships or were there 750 numbered copies plus X number of lifetime memberships? If so how many lifetime memberships like this are there?

So scenerio 1 would be (as an example)
Books are numbered 1-700, the remaining 50 (I'm just guessing as to the number of lifetime memberships) are not numbered and instead get the first letter of the customer

Scenerio 2
Books are numbered 1-750, additional copies are ordered to cover the lifetime memberships.

The first email I received from PS mentioned that they did do 750 numbered/slipcased editions.

A guy selling one of these "lettered" versions of ebay told me that PS only sold 26 deluxe lifetime subscriptions.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

So it sounds like there are books numbered 1-724 and then the 26 lifetime subscriptions