Accidental Limited Edition of "Firestater" paperback

Any questions related to limited editions
Dixztim

Accidental Limited Edition of "Firestater" paperback

Post by Dixztim »

I was wondering if there were other collectors out there who were familiar with the "limited" edition of King's Firestater in paperback? I first learned of this from an article in the Nov 1986 issue of Castle Rock, The Stephen King Newsletter. The article was by Tom Draheim and detailed his search fo a true first edition of Firestater in paperback.
I have located two editions of this papaerback (one in black cover and other in white with both in excellent condition) and I am curiuos as to what the market value is for these editions.
If anyone has any input, I would like to hear from you.
I'm sure there are other fellow "completists" out there who would like to know as well.
Thank you
Tim
jhanic

Re: Accidental Limited Edition of "Firestater" paperback

Post by jhanic »

I have THREE different first printings of the Firestarter PB: One each of the black and white, both of which state on the cover "By the author of The Dead Zone" and one with a white cover that states "By the author of The Dead Zone and Cujo" (which usually indicates the second or later printing) but has a number line starting with the "1". It's the only one like this I've ever seen.

The first printings were in a boxed set with a PB copy of The Dead Zone. About 50,000 of these sets were done, with the white and black covers done in about equal quantities.

Many collectors don't collect paperbacks, so prices are usually in the $50 range for one in Fine or Near Fine condition.

Hope this helps!

John
RIC

Post by RIC »

jhanic ... cool info
Do you have pictures of the three books? Should there be a 4th?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Here's a picture of the first two:

The third one is almost identical except that it has the different "From the Author of" line on the cover:

John
RIC

Post by RIC »

Great
Thanks jhanic, so you will take $100 for the trio?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Sorry, they're not for sale.

John
RIC

Post by RIC »

I knew that... just seeing what you would say... do you know where to find a couple in $50 range... They have been hard for me to find.. Ronnie
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Ronnie, I really don't have a good idea about finding them except to keep searching eBay, ABE, etc. I got mine from eBay a while ago, after inquiring the sellers for the number line info. It's more a matter of luck. You might also ask David at Betts Books to look for them for you.

www.bettsbooks.com

John