Low # vs. High #

Any questions related to limited editions
blg

Low # vs. High #

Post by blg »

Since this is my first post, I wanted to say "Hello."

I had a question for those who might know. Is there really a difference in value for a low # of a S/L edition vs. a higher one?

For example, would a #97 of Skeleton Crew be worth more then a #750, assuming both were in the same condition?

thanks.
e_taylor

Re: Low # vs. High #

Post by e_taylor »

blg wrote:Since this is my first post, I wanted to say "Hello."

I had a question for those who might know. Is there really a difference in value for a low # of a S/L edition vs. a higher one?

For example, would a #97 of Skeleton Crew be worth more then a #750, assuming both were in the same condition?

thanks.
I would say that as a rule no.

The exception would probably be the Dark Tower series, given that 500 and below allow you to match a set.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I agree. Another possible "exception" to this would be the s/l Firestarter. These books were signed over a four-day period and King dated them. The earlier copies are the lower numbered ones. As far as one date being more valuable, this would be true maybe if you wanted a copy of each date!

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hi Big, welcome to the forums!

The experts have spoken :) number 1-500 in the dark tower series are more valuable then 501 - 1500 because it's possible to make a complete set. And a few other exeptions occur.

I would also say that I find there's a lot of people like to get REALLY low numbers and I'd put a 5-15% premium on #1-9 or even up to the first 99 if it's a realy high print run. (copy #1 getting the most premium)... The value of a book is based on the demand, and I think more collectors would have their interest peaked at these super low numbers then the average ones.

Not everyone feels the same way, but enough for that small 5-15% bump.
Trashcan Man

Post by Trashcan Man »

The short answer to your question is yes, collectors pay more for lower numbered signed limited books as compared to higher numbered ones, all else being equal. They are perceived to have higher value. People love the lower numbered books! It's not logical, but it's true. :)

Sometimes they pay a lot more. This holds true not just for Stephen King, but for any other highly sought after autograph. A quick example that comes to mind: Soon shortly after Tim Russert passed away, a signed first edition (#2 of 1,200) of "Big Russ and Me" published by Easton, sold on ebay for over $1,000 to the highest bidder. The rest of these , during the same time, sold between $600 and $800.

So next time you get a signed limited of a famous writer, politician, etc, don't be afraid to open the shrink-wrap and peek inside at the number. It might be worth more than you think. Hope this helps.