Keeping Tabs of Your Collection

Tell me what you would like to see on the forums!
jimimck

Keeping Tabs of Your Collection

Post by jimimck »

I don't know if this would be possible on The Collector website, nor do I know if there would be much interest to use the site for this purpose, but I was wondering what would be involved in having the ability to indicate that you own a book when reviewing that books particular page here on The Collector website.

What I mean is when you are looking at the Carrie 1st edition page, you could check a box to indicate you own it. You could do this for all the books you own, and then the site could show you a visual of what books you own (using the book cover)

This could be done for each version of the book (1st trade, Gift, S/L, Lettered)

There is a website for people who collect Lego that does this under your log on
http://www.brickset.com/

As I mentioned, I don't know what's involved in this type of functionality (web design), nor do I know if there is much interest in collating your collection online, but I just thought it may be worth mentioning as an idea...

Thoughts?
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: Keeping Tabs of Your Collection

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Sounds kind of interesting. I'd probably do it. I used to keep tabs of my books on 3X5 index cards, typing certain information on the card and leaving space for an asterisk after the title when I finally purchased the book. But I grew weary of this and haven't kept track in a long time, mainly because too many limited editions kept being released and the strain on my budget made me give up trying to collect everything I wanted.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hmm that is an interesting idea. Unfortunately I think it would involve creating a database back end to link each page then somehow being able to tie those in with a login.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible, if there was enough interest but I'd need to outsource the work as database driven stuff is out of my realm of expertise.

That being said I"m looking at outsourcing a feature in 2011 that's probably even more complex. What is it?... I don't want to say for now in case it doesn't work out. But belive me when I say it's REALLY REALLY neat.

REALLY 8-)
dainierljeji

Post by dainierljeji »

Sounds great!

----------------------------------------------
rc hobby|Rc Airplanes For Sale
Parker45

Post by Parker45 »

What I mean is when you are looking at the Carrie 1st edition page, you could check a box to indicate you own it. You could do this for all the books you own, and then the site could show you a visual of what books you own (using the book cover)
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Parker45 wrote:What I mean is when you are looking at the Carrie 1st edition page, you could check a box to indicate you own it. You could do this for all the books you own, and then the site could show you a visual of what books you own (using the book cover)

Yeah, that does sound really neat. Especially if it would link to some sort of master spreadsheet/list that you could glance at. Maybe with fields that included what price you paid for the book.

It would involve some sort of sign in for the site - so the site knows it's you (I like sites that integrate with facebook personally), a database back end to track and a slight modification of the web pages to link into it. Sadly that's beyond my skill level for coding personally. BUT if anyone from the King community has this kind of expertise I would be very open to talking to you about how to make that happen, please PM me.