Collection Appraisal

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
Bob M

Collection Appraisal

Post by Bob M »

Looking for some info from those who have had their collections appraised. I believe my collection is getting large enough and need to get a rider for my home owners policy. Has anyone had their collection appraised? My collection spans 4 6' tall 5 shelf bookcases. So taking them to an appraiser is out o the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Collection Appraisal

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Just think of a number, any number. For insurance purposes, they will insure you for anything you say. But, when it comes to a claim, they will only pay what they say is "market value" at the time of loss.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Well it all depends on the type of policy you have. I have my collection set an an agreed value, as opposed to market value. I only have to confirm damage, not evidence of value at claim time.

A lot of different companies have different terms and processes at claim time, so you need to understand your specific policy wording....
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Although I haven't looked into it in years, back in the day, the recommended specialty insurance company to use was
http://collectinsure.com

My understanding is that you have a much better chance of getting replacement value for your books using a specialty company that accepts your appraised value, vs a generic insurance company. That being said I don't know of anyone personally who's had to file a loss claim with these guys so maybe someone else can speak to that.

At any rate, going back to appraisal, if David has time he'd probably be a good option for Appraisal, especially if your collection contains more than just books. I've been asked to submit an appraisal or two in my day, although I expect it's up to each insurance company on whether they want to accept it or not I don't have any special ties with insurance companies.