shrink wrap

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
amd013

shrink wrap

Post by amd013 »

Does keeping a book in the shrink wrap increase its value any? (or maybe ask it in reverse, does removing the shrink wrap

I asked this of Cemetery Dance a year or so ago, and they said it did. However, I have seen mention on this forum from others that they remove the shrink wrap immediately, and that over time it might damage the book if left on.

I have a couple of limited editions, that I don't even know what number is is without opening it. I also have a couple of books that I have never read before and I only have copies that are shrink wrapped. (Blockade Billy, and My Pretty Pony (arrives today from ebay purchase)).

I keep thinking of a "Big Bang Theory" episode where the actor who played Data on Star Trek the Next Generation, grabs a mint, in package, Wesley Crusher doll out of Sheldon's hand (just as it had been given personally to him by Will Wheaton), and rips it out of the packaging. Sheldon's face was priceless.

Thanks,
Mike
jhanic

Re: shrink wrap

Post by jhanic »

amd013 wrote:Does keeping a book in the shrink wrap increase its value any? (or maybe ask it in reverse, does removing the shrink wrap

I asked this of Cemetery Dance a year or so ago, and they said it did. However, I have seen mention on this forum from others that they remove the shrink wrap immediately, and that over time it might damage the book if left on.

I have a couple of limited editions, that I don't even know what number is is without opening it. I also have a couple of books that I have never read before and I only have copies that are shrink wrapped. (Blockade Billy, and My Pretty Pony (arrives today from ebay purchase)).

I keep thinking of a "Big Bang Theory" episode where the actor who played Data on Star Trek the Next Generation, grabs a mint, in package, Wesley Crusher doll out of Sheldon's hand (just as it had been given personally to him by Will Wheaton), and rips it out of the packaging. Sheldon's face was priceless.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I'd strongly recommend you remove the shrink wrap. With it on, you have no idea if the book has been damaged, mis-bound, or whatever. Plus, the shrink wrap MAY damage the book after a period of time. Most serious collectors will remove the shrink wrap as soon as they get the book (I'm one of them.) Also, you don't really know if the shrink wrap was applied by the publisher or the seller.

John
jsweet

Post by jsweet »

If I'm sure I'm going to keep a book, I remove the shrinkwrap as my understanding is it can do damage over time. I know Easton Press, for example, recommends removing the wrap.

After a recent experience, I've now decided I'll now remove the wrap even if I think I might sell it some day. I had two copies of a signed Matheson book from Gauntlet Press and hadn't opened one of them. Did recently sell it on eBay and the buyer opened it and thanked me for such a great bargain, having gotten the regular edition with the tipped sheet for the lettered edition with additional signatures. (The books have different covers, so its not the actual lettered edition, just a mistake.) Still, would have rather had that for my collection and gotten rid of the other one had I known. Lesson learned!
Rosswood

Post by Rosswood »

this is very nice post
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I posted before complaining about shrink wrap as it damaged the dust jacket on a Gunslinger 2nd edition as well as a Wastelands. I think the best thing to do is remove it, mylar wrap the jacket and store in a bookcase. Bookcases have doors. Unless it has a slipcase then mylar wrap it and put back in the slipcase.
The word itself tells you all you need to know. Shrink wrap....shrink means make smaller, so shrink wrap over time shrinks.