Brodart advice

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
Ga Outlaw

Brodart advice

Post by Ga Outlaw »

I'm fixing to start expanding my collection, but before I do I want to protect what I've already got. I've been to Brodart's website and there is just too many options. What's the best, cheapest thing to get to protect My whole collection? Should I also use Brodart on books in slipcases?
systemcrashoverride

Re: Brodart advice

Post by systemcrashoverride »

I too could use advice on Brodart. I know it's the protection of choice, but I'm not really sure how to order it or what to purchase. Thomas?
Twice

Post by Twice »

I use these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049Y ... UTF8&psc=1

They fit well. I dont like that they're center loading, but they're all i've been able to find.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

systemcrashoverride wrote:I too could use advice on Brodart. I know it's the protection of choice, but I'm not really sure how to order it or what to purchase. Thomas?
Hi Guys, when possible I buy from Brodart direct to get their archival quality covers.... Although I've been known to head to my local bookstore and get their non-archival line for convenience. Your question sort of got me curious as to what the real difference was between their "advantage" and "archival" lines so I gave them a call.

The rep told me that the clear polypropylene was the same, but on their non-archival line they print some company info, etc on the paper backing. Should the book be exposed to moisture it could transfer the ink onto the book. The archival line is free of anything that could potentially transfer onto the book.

Here's a link to their site, they have a 25% off sale right now using code BJC25
http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/

If you don't like the center loading kind, their "just a fold" ones are very convenient. You'll find those on page 2.

Oh as to whether to use them for book in slipcases or not, If the slipcase isn't overly tight I put brodart covers on all my books.
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

Thanks for the advice. The Bordart site just has so many choices it's hard to figure out what's right. I currently have 2 slipcases (your Wolves of the Calla and the Lisey's Story gift edition). I also have several paperbacks I want to protect and need to know the best way. My pb's are Colorado Kid 1st, Stephen King Goes To The Movies 1st, Joyland 1st, Bag Of Bones ARC, Bag Of Bones 10th Ann. & Umny's Last Case penguin 60.
Twice

Post by Twice »

Thanks Collector. I'm definitely going to replace all of mine.
systemcrashoverride

based on what I'm seeing, I think the "just a fold" line looks like the right option, would you recommend the large multi-packs? I know his hard covers vary in size depending on age and publisher, so I was thinking about purchasing this:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/arc ... Ojo6MDo%3d

But if you have a better suggestion, I would love to hear it. I'm trying to cover a lot of books in a hurry, as I've been neglecting proper protection.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

systemcrashoverride wrote:based on what I'm seeing, I think the "just a fold" line looks like the right option, would you recommend the large multi-packs? I know his hard covers vary in size depending on age and publisher, so I was thinking about purchasing this:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/arc ... Ojo6MDo%3d

But if you have a better suggestion, I would love to hear it. I'm trying to cover a lot of books in a hurry, as I've been neglecting proper protection.
Yeah, if you think you'll be covering more than 20 books or so, that's a good price at 33 cents per cover. You get a mixed size of thirty 9", fifty 10", and twenty 12" in that pack, plus you've got the archival variant as well.
systemcrashoverride

It's on order! The discount code had expired sadly, but it's about time I got around to protecting my books. They're also all in a bookshelf in my basement bedroom, and I'm thinking I might move them all upstairs because I have concerns about moisture. Just getting a bit more serious about the whole "collection" side of things.
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to go with the 100 pack too.