Reading with Stephen King, John Grisham & Tess Gerritsen

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Reading with Stephen King, John Grisham & Tess Gerritsen

Post by TheCollector »

Hey folks,

Stephen King released a newsletter over the weekend promoting a political fundraiser in Bangor Maine.... No mention of a signing in the note... but if you head to the ticket purchasing section, $500 seems to be the minimum for a "Signed Book" (no author specified)

-----------------------------
Dear "",

I don’t often get involved in politics, but I believe there is a great deal at stake in this year’s election. It is my pleasure to announce two very special events in Bangor, Maine on June 7th to benefit my friend Congressman Tom Allen’s campaign for the U.S. Senate.

Authors Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, and I will be attending a special cocktail reception at the Bangor Civic Center. Immediately following that, we will be reading our favorite passages of some of the stories we have written – in front of what we’re sure will be a great audience at the Bangor Auditorium. I hope you can join us for these special events.

Saturday, June 7th

Host Committee Cocktail Reception: 5:00-6:00 pm
Bangor Civic Center, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

General Admission Event: 7:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:00)
Bangor Auditorium, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

You can buy tickets to both events - or just one - by clicking here.

And all the proceeds will certainly go to a good cause. Tess, John, and I believe that we need change in America. What has happened to our country in the last eight years is downright scary - and believe me, I know scary.

In 2002, Tom Allen courageously stood up to the President and to members of his own party by voting against the Iraq War. He supports opportunity for the middle class, energy independence, and affordable health care. Electing Tom Allen to the U.S. Senate is an important step towards change for our country, and we are proud to support him.

I hope you’ll join us on June 7th. Click here to purchase tickets now. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Stephen King

Proceeds from this event will benefit Tom Allen for Senate. Funds from corporations, labor unions, national banks, federal contractors, or foreign nationals may not be accepted. Contributions are limited by law to $2,300 per election, per individual. An individual may give up to $2,300 for the primary election (before June 10, 2008) and up to $2,300 for the general election. Federal law requires political campaigns to use their best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for each individual whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 in an election cycle.

Ticket purchasers must confirm that:

1. They are not a foreign national who lacks permanent residence in the United States.
2. They are not a Federal government contractor.
3. This contribution is made from their own funds, and not those of another.
4. This contribution is not made from the funds of a corporation or labor organization.
5. This contribution is made on a personal credit card or debit card for which they have the legal obligation to pay, and is not made either on a corporate or business entity card or on the card of another person.
6. They are at least eighteen years old.

Contributions to Tom Allen for Senate are not tax deductible.

Paid for by Tom Allen for Senate
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Reading with Stephen King, John Grisham & Tess Gerritsen

Post by TheCollector »

Update - SK will no longer be appearing at this event

---------------
A Bangor fundraiser featuring three best-selling novelists for Senate candidate Tom Allen has been postponed in the aftermath of a controversy surrounding Stephen King's remarks about literacy and the military.

King, who was scheduled to appear June 7 with John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen, expressed fear Monday that what was meant to be a literary event could have become all too political.

King took flak for comments he made to students on April 4 at the Library of Congress while stressing the importance for job seekers of being able to read. "If you don't," he said, "then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that."

In a statement relayed Monday by the Allen campaign, King said he doesn't want to be a distraction. Said King: "Since that might be the case now, it's best to do this event later, but it's just too good not to do it at all."

Allen spokeswoman Carol Andrews said people who bought tickets to the $25-a-person fundraiser can contact the campaign for a refund.