Under the Dome

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Under the Dome

Post by TheCollector »

Here is a first look at the plot of Under the Dome:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester�s Mills, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener�s hand is severed as �the dome� comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when�or if�it will go away.

Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens�town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician�s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing�even murder�to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn�t just short. It�s running out.

Thanks to Lilja's Library for the info!
MikeDuke

Re: Under the Dome

Post by MikeDuke »

1000+ pages. Maybe just over 1100. Yea baby :D . I love these long ones.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Scribner says the page count will be 1120 pages.

John
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

If I am not mistaken, I think that is 18 pages less then IT. Should be quite the read.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I wonder if the story idea came from watching the simpson's movie? Springfield gets enclosed by a very similar dome....Although I expect Kings version to be a lot less funny :)
T0ber138

Post by T0ber138 »

TheCollector wrote:I wonder if the story idea came from watching the simpson's movie? Springfield gets enclosed by a very similar dome....Although I expect Kings version to be a lot less funny :)
The Simpsons Movie was the first thing to pop into my head upon initially reading this plot synopsis too! :D
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

If I am not mistaken, this is one of those very old ideas that just never got fully developed until now. According to Stephen he tried twice to write a story about what happens to people when they get cut off from society.
I think he tried to write it two times and failed twice. The first was called "The Cannibals", written in 1981. Five years before that he worked on a book called "Under The Dome". He could not finish it either time. So he had that idea way before the Simpson's did. He also said that "The Cannibals" was sort of a social comedy and commentary like Needful things. "Under the Dome" is dead straight in it's presentation.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

That's actually nice to hear; the book is sounding more like "old school" SK or even pre-accident SK. That's the writing style I prefer from him.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

He probably got the idea to re-work his story after seeing the Simpsons movie, or at least an advert for it. The adverts for that movie were shown everywhere, including just about every page on the net.
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

THe moderator at SK website says that SK never seen the simpsons movie at all.