Signed first edition of Needful Things

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
TonyD2336

Signed first edition of Needful Things

Post by TonyD2336 »

My girlfriend recently gave me a First Edition signed and dated (11/8/91) copy of Needful Things for my birthday. This is the first signed book to be added to my collection and naturally I have found myself enthralled with discovering everything I can about the book. Against normal etiquette I found out that she bought it on eBay for $1200. I can’t for the life of me, figure out what makes this copy worth that much when they are typically going for about $450. Written in pencil at the top corner of the signature page is “signed 1/1 RaK F/F 450.00 Cuv”. I’m assuming that it’s the price a previous owner was either asking or paid for it. If anyone can provide any information on possibilities, even if it’s to tell me she WAY overpayed, I would greatly appreciate it. At the end of the day this is a beautiful gift and I will cherish it for many years. Thank you in advance.

I tried adding a picture but can’t seem to figure it out. Sorry
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Signed first edition of Needful Things

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Firstly, Hi Tony.

The marks in pencil are the previous booksellers marks. Many booksellers do this which I hate. I don't know the previous bookseller.

Needful Things was released in November 1991 therefore your copy is near to the publication date, which is what collectors want.

Now for the bit you do not want to hear. Fine/Fine inscribed copies of this edition were selling at Betts Bookstore for $250. They have risen a bit lately, but the last one sold for $350.

Cherish your book, and your wife for buying you such a great present.
TonyD2336

Re: Signed first edition of Needful Things

Post by TonyD2336 »

Good morning Mr Rabbit,

Thank you very much for the information. I also do not care for the habit of marking a book even if in pencil. I may have messed up the initials of the seller but I’m not overly concerned.

You’re right, I did not want to hear the bit about the price but I had my suspicions. There will always be a part of me that has my fingers crossed, hoping that there is some hidden gem about this copy.

On a personal note, unknown to her when she purchased it, this was the first Stephen King book I ever read and is the beginning of my love of King. It’s ironic that it is now serving as the beginning of my inscribed collection.

Thank you again for the insight and for opening my eyes to what appears to be an excellent source to build my collection.