Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
ajw2910

Re: Anniversary editions annouced by Cemetery Dance

Post by ajw2910 »

I agree. If I am going to spend $1000 on a Stephen King book, I am going to save for a while more and use that $1000 towards the S/L The Stand.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

ajw2910 wrote:I agree. If I am going to spend $1000 on a Stephen King book, I am going to save for a while more and use that $1000 towards the S/L The Stand.
I bought a Signed/Lettered The Dark Man direct from CD last week for $1000. (Issue price $1750). At least this has a King signature.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
ajw2910 wrote:I agree. If I am going to spend $1000 on a Stephen King book, I am going to save for a while more and use that $1000 towards the S/L The Stand.
I bought a Signed/Lettered The Dark Man direct from CD last week for $1000. (Issue price $1750). At least this has a King signature.
I thought about bidding on that. I think you got a great deal.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not. They certainly know how to use Stephen King's name to their advantage. Everything that can be even considered tangentially related to SK is a 'big deal'.
Definitely. At first I thought this would be a S/L by King, but then they hyped it so much I actually figured it couldn't be. They know King's signature will sell out easily, and they know the other stuff won't, so they hype the hell out of anything that isn't signed by King (reprints like these, books about King, etc).
BrianJamesFreeman

Post by BrianJamesFreeman »

jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not. They certainly know how to use Stephen King's name to their advantage. Everything that can be even considered tangentially related to SK is a 'big deal'.
For us a six book deal of six classic Stephen King books IS a huge announcement. It got us coverage in The New York Times. How often does a small press sign a six book deal with Stephen King and then have it covered in The New York Times? So for us, this is a very big announcement.

As to your statement that it's not selling out fast, I find that confusing. The Artist Lettered Edition sold out in 47 minutes. The Numbered Artist Edition is more than 75% sold out and will be sold out completely in a week. That's pretty darn fast. We've even sold close to 1,500 of the Gift Edition in less than 72 hours, which is faster than we sold the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep.

I understand that there are collectors who don't feel a project is even worth doing if Steve isn't going to sign a bunch of signature sheets, but he didn't want to sign signature sheets for these books. We think a beautiful set of these six classic books is well worth doing and will be a lot of fun.

If you're not interested in these editions, that's perfectly okay. But a lot of fans obviously are interested based on how these editions are selling, so we're very pleased by the response.

Brian Freeman
Cemetery Dance Publications
BrianJamesFreeman

havok wrote:savings certificates (discounts) are a no … but gift certificates are a yes:

These Cemetery Dance Gift Certificates are good for essentially any book, magazine, work of art, or other collectible we sell in our online store including books from other publishers, special offers like our famous Grab Bags, and even books by authors such as Stephen King, Peter Straub, William Peter Blatty, Justin Cronin, and many others!

it has been my experience, including my order for Carrie two hours ago, that gift certificates can be used on anything but gift certificates.

additionally, members of the cemetery dance collectors club were provided with a discount coupon which does work on these king books, which was a nice added bonus.

thanks.
You are correct! Gift Certificates, even if they were bought with a discount, can be used toward ANYTHING we sell on the site with the exception of another Gift Certificate.

(Our old Savings Certificates, which we haven't offered in years, were sold at HUGE discounts with some limitations on what they could be used for.)

Brian Freeman
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

BrianJamesFreeman wrote:
For us a six book deal of six classic Stephen King books IS a huge announcement. It got us coverage in The New York Times. How often does a small press sign a six book deal with Stephen King and then have it covered in The New York Times? So for us, this is a very big announcement.

As to your statement that it's not selling out fast, I find that confusing. The Artist Lettered Edition sold out in 47 minutes. The Numbered Artist Edition is more than 75% sold out and will be sold out completely in a week. That's pretty darn fast. We've even sold close to 1,500 of the Gift Edition in less than 72 hours, which is faster than we sold the Gift Edition of Doctor Sleep.

I understand that there are collectors who don't feel a project is even worth doing if Steve isn't going to sign a bunch of signature sheets, but he didn't want to sign signature sheets for these books. We think a beautiful set of these six classic books is well worth doing and will be a lot of fun.

If you're not interested in these editions, that's perfectly okay. But a lot of fans obviously are interested based on how these editions are selling, so we're very pleased by the response.

Brian Freeman
Brian, I agree completely with you on this. It IS a BIG deal. Congratulations again.

John
jcf817

Post by jcf817 »

I never said this wasn't selling out fast. I stand by my statements.
BrianJamesFreeman

jcf817 wrote:I never said this wasn't selling out fast. I stand by my statements.
jcf817 wrote:The main reason I'm disillusioned is that everything is a 'HUGE announcement' and 'selling out fast'...even when it's not.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but please don't say you didn't say something... that you said on the previous page! ;)

Brian
BrianJamesFreeman

TrueNorth wrote:I concur, I have the PS Editions and the SP Shining. I also have Salem's Lot numbered and gift. So why all the overlapping. I am afraid this is beginning to look like the sportcards of the late 80's early 90's.
My guess is that you're not going to see a lot of overlap in the future, although there has been more of the US vs UK special edition overlap these last few years because they're two different rights markets and Steve's UK publisher has been dabbling in their own special editions.

This Doubleday Years set is something we've wanted to make happen for a very long time, and the only way for it to be a complete set of the Doubleday titles was for there to be some overlap in terms of titles that already had Limited Editions.

We're not trying to replace the previous (and beautiful!) editions of The Stand or The Shining, and we're not battling it out with PS Publishing over Carrie or Pet Sematary. (Pete will tell you that we're his biggest fans!)

But we've always wanted to produce our own special editions of these very important books, which launched Steve's career into the stratosphere, and we hope the collectors who do buy them are pleased with the presentation/production values we have planned.

Brian Freeman