Brodart advice

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Brodart advice

Post by TheCollector »

I had a new newsletter crop into my inbox. Put in "July15" for 15% off thru July 14th....Not as good as the 25% but better then a poke in the eye.
Twice

Post by Twice »

The "July15" code isn't working.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Twice wrote:The "July15" code isn't working.
It's the 15th today, code expired yesterday.
Twice

Post by Twice »

TheCollector wrote:
Twice wrote:The "July15" code isn't working.
It's the 15th today, code expired yesterday.
I bought them on the 12th. It's alright though.
systemcrashoverride

Post by systemcrashoverride »

I bought mine through the link I listed above and after it had gone through on my Visa, I received an e-mail from Brodart telling me I should have ordered through the Canadian version of the site. They ended up charging me extra for the package and extra to ship. But I've received it already and started wrapping my books.

Does anyone tape the top edge once it's been folded over onto the paper on the inside?

Also, I've noticed most of my dust jackets don't want to sit snug into the bottom edge of the Brodart sleeve. They've been wrapped around the books so long that they don't want to lay flat in order to drop all the way in, and I don't really want to flatten them out too much for fear of damaging them. Advice?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

systemcrashoverride wrote:I bought mine through the link I listed above and after it had gone through on my Visa, I received an e-mail from Brodart telling me I should have ordered through the Canadian version of the site. They ended up charging me extra for the package and extra to ship. But I've received it already and started wrapping my books.

Does anyone tape the top edge once it's been folded over onto the paper on the inside?

Also, I've noticed most of my dust jackets don't want to sit snug into the bottom edge of the Brodart sleeve. They've been wrapped around the books so long that they don't want to lay flat in order to drop all the way in, and I don't really want to flatten them out too much for fear of damaging them. Advice?
Yes I always tape the open edge (which is the bottom for me) that insures the DJ stays very snugly in the brodart. If I wind up getting a book with brodart cover that isn't snug, or I mess up badly I just get a new one and re-do it.
systemcrashoverride

Post by systemcrashoverride »

Any reason you put the open end on the bottom? I would have thought the joined end would be stronger, and that it should be the end to get more shelf wear. I'll snug mine up and tape the flaps down. The Brodart seems to hide imperfections in the dust jackets as well, everything about them looks nicer once they're wrapped once you get used to the slight sheen.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

systemcrashoverride wrote:Any reason you put the open end on the bottom? I would have thought the joined end would be stronger, and that it should be the end to get more shelf wear. I'll snug mine up and tape the flaps down. The Brodart seems to hide imperfections in the dust jackets as well, everything about them looks nicer once they're wrapped once you get used to the slight sheen.
No real reason, I just feel like I can see what I'm doing better when I shove the jacket up and then tape closest to me, I suppose I could just flip the DJ upside down and get the same result.

Your way actually makes more sense as you explained it. ;)
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

Decided to be cheep. I went to amazon & ordered a 5 yard x 9" roll. With shipping it cost just over $8.00. I got it today. I was worried 9" would be to small, but there was just enough left to make a crease. I was able to cover 7 books including my trade edition of The Dark Man. I was worried with TDM so much smaller that it would be much more difficult to get it right, but it was by far the easiest.