How do you store your books?

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
systemcrashoverride

How do you store your books?

Post by systemcrashoverride »

My collection has slowly changed, shifting from 40+ soft covers, to almost exclusively hardcovers, and now I'm moving into first editions and signed copies. More and more I'm concerned with how I store and display my books. Do you suggest Mylar? Are your novels shelved as is? Do you slipcase the hell out of everything? I'm curious if there's a consensus as to the preferred method.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: How do you store your books?

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Most collectors cover their books with Brodart sleeves to protect the dust jacket. The DJ is usually worth about 90% of the value of the books.

It is not worth paying for a slipcase for a $15 book, so unless you have plenty of money, just get slipcases for your most expensive ones.

The main thing is to keep them out of direct sunlight. That's the one thing that will destroy your books without you even noticing it, until its too late.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I completely agree with Mr. RT. It's the best way to go. Also, if possible, try to get book cases with doors so that dust is kept to a minimum.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I second the motion...er opinion :mrgreen:
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I'm on the same page as the above.

I have a book case with glass doors on for my special King books (signed copies, gift editions, S/L's etc) and while I have it placed somewhere that avoids direct sunlight, I am looking in to this solution I've heard of tha you can spray on glass that then blocks out harmful UV rays.

Oh, and I have the glass doors to protect from my one year old daughter more so than dust lol!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

jimimck wrote: Oh, and I have the glass doors to protect from my one year old daughter more so than dust lol!
Always a good idea! Also from pets, etc.

John