Full Dark, No Stars

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jhanic

Re: Full Dark, No Stars

Post by jhanic »

I asked Bev Vincent this and he said the Library Journal had it as 1,200,000 copies of the first printing.

(This is why I was surprised when I heard Amazon was sending out second printings already.)

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks John,

Yeah that's weird that amazon would be sending out 2nd editions if the print run was 1.2 million. it's definitely in line with King print runs (if a tad on the high end)...They say retailers do 50% of their sales during this time of year so maybe Scribner recieved a lot of orders from the various chain stores in anticipation of the additional sales.

I'll use the 1.2 figure unless I hear different from Scribner
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Probably of not much interest to the hardcover 1st printing collectors only, but the UK Hodder trade paperback is going to be tough to find (at least it's eluding me so far). Seems it's illegal to even sell them in England, and they are only available in Eire and airports. Not sure about Australia though. I have a lead on one and hope I get it.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

ur2ndbiggestfan wrote:Probably of not much interest to the hardcover 1st printing collectors only, but the UK Hodder trade paperback is going to be tough to find (at least it's eluding me so far). Seems it's illegal to even sell them in England, and they are only available in Eire and airports. Not sure about Australia though. I have a lead on one and hope I get it.
You mean this edition?

I'm in NZ and this edition is everywhere. Let me know if anyone wants me to source them a copy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Oops, I forgot about New Zealand. Is it a 1st printing with a '1' on the number line?
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I'll check today for you, but I expect so. We normally get the first editions from the UK here (hence why I struggle to get US editions), so more than likely.

I've seen them in the stores for about $28NZD, which is about $21USD. Exchange rate is good from my point of view at the moment, not so good from your side :|

**EDIT**

Just checked at local store, and yes, it is first edition with just a "1" on copyright page. This store had them for $40NZD ($30USD), but I'm sure I saw them at the cheaper rate somewhere else.

Not sure what the shipping is to US, but I expect it to be cheaper then what it costs to send from the States to NZ. Can confirm if anyone wants me to sort out a copy for them. I'm happy to do it at cost, as opposed to adding profit margin on to any order.
biomieg

Post by biomieg »

Just make sure it isn't some sort of export copy, then. Not sure whether or not these exist for trade PBs but I know that UK trade HCs have been issued in different formats in the past and the export copies don't have a price on the DJ, for example. Mr. Rabbit Trick will know this.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

A paperback doesn't have a dust jacket. Probably the only real difference between an export copy and a UK copy of a paperback may be a different printer. I doubt that would have any influence on the value of the book, unlike the hardcovers with the export dust jackets.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Based on the only requirement for a 1st Edition UK Paperback being the "1" on the copyright page, I can confirm the ones available here are 1st Edition.

As John points out, no dustjacket to have price printed on. I didn't check if the paperback had a price printed on it anywhere however. Does anyone know if it should?

I've had one request for a copy, and will most likely sort that out next week. If anyone else is interested, and wants to try and receive before Christmas, let me know soon.

Cheers
James
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

The paperback has a price printed above the barcode on the back cover.

The UK paperback ISBN is 978-1-444-71255-1

The Ozzie/NZ ISBN might be different.