UTD UK special edition

Any questions related to limited editions
kieron

Re: UTD UK special edition

Post by kieron »

Cheers, John. Mine's waiting for me in the UK while I'm stuck in Spain til the 23rd. You've answered the last of my questions.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Mine finally arrived today. It was sitting on my porch in the very flimsy wrapping they used. I guess there is a God after all, because it's a miracle the case and book are in great shape, after travelling 3000 miles. Haven't taken the shrinkwrap off yet though, so I don't know what number I got.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Got mine today too. Perfect condition, whew. #184.
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

Waterstone's shipped mine today, so it'll be interesting to see in what condition it arrives. I also ordered a copy of the trade hardcover just for the dustjacket, as Brodarting naked books are a royal PITA and it might elevate its collector's value somewhat (I have "surgical" plans for the trade).

I, too, find it very strange that this small 500-unit run is still available, especially since this edition seems to be much nicer than the S&S one. The simple inclusion of a slipcase is a HUGE value-added element. Slipcases on the whole seem to be a dying species in the realm of high-priced limited editions. <grrrr>
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

fleggett wrote:Waterstone's shipped mine today, so it'll be interesting to see in what condition it arrives. I also ordered a copy of the trade hardcover just for the dustjacket, as Brodarting naked books are a royal PITA and it might elevate its collector's value somewhat (I have "surgical" plans for the trade).

I, too, find it very strange that this small 500-unit run is still available, especially since this edition seems to be much nicer than the S&S one. The simple inclusion of a slipcase is a HUGE value-added element. Slipcases on the whole seem to be a dying species in the realm of high-priced limited editions. <grrrr>

Mine shipped yesterday, so we'll see. They seem to be using the same packaging as amazon.com does. I'm sure it's very cost effective - but it's realy a crapshoot if your book gets dinged up or not.

I'm not too surprised about the 500 copy edition still being available. There's only so many die-hard collectors out here that are going to order both a US and UK limited edition - in the middle of a global recession no less.
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

TheCollector wrote:I'm not too surprised about the 500 copy edition still being available. There's only so many die-hard collectors out here that are going to order both a US and UK limited edition - in the middle of a global recession no less.
Still, this edition, >especially< the UK version, was designed to be a limited-edition from the outset, not just a slightly spruced-up trade with King's Hancock somewhere in the front matter (although the S&S version is very disappointing in many regards). And, as these things go, extremely affordable.

Maybe King just isn't as big a name in the UK as he is in the US. The S&S edition sold out in a matter of hours, whereas the UK edition is now going on a full week of availability. Makes me wonder if I should buy two or three just to speculate (which I've never done in the past). When Underwood published Icon, Testament, and Legacy, you could initially get them on eBay for far less than their respective MSRPs. Now, though, you're lucky to find one for auction and, when it does happen, they command premium prices.

Hindsight and that really, really irritating 20/20. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the Icon, Testament, and Legacy trilogy when I could (I'm a huge fan of Frazetta).
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

fleggett wrote: Still, this edition, >especially< the UK version, was designed to be a limited-edition from the outset, not just a slightly spruced-up trade with King's Hancock somewhere in the front matter (although the S&S version is very disappointing in many regards). And, as these things go, extremely affordable.

Maybe King just isn't as big a name in the UK as he is in the US. The S&S edition sold out in a matter of hours, whereas the UK edition is now going on a full week of availability. Makes me wonder if I should buy two or three just to speculate (which I've never done in the past). When Underwood published Icon, Testament, and Legacy, you could initially get them on eBay for far less than their respective MSRPs. Now, though, you're lucky to find one for auction and, when it does happen, they command premium prices.
Ah that is very true, however:

#1) I think most almost everyone was surprised that the S&S version was so disapointing, based off the description, and, expecting a true limited edition this is what they bought. The UK edition wasn't available untill months later.

#2) It seems S&S got a lot more promotion on their limited then the UK edition. The S&S limited was plastered over every SK site, on all the S&S mailing lists, RSS feeds, and even SK's offical website I believe.

#3) Whether that was due to lack of internet back in the day, or fewer UK collectors, or the fact that the editions were usualy not as nice as their US counterparts, or some combination the UK editions havn't been as collectible, historically.

It's clear though that this time around the UK edition is designed as the limited edition. Whereas the US edition seems to have been a bit of an afterthought to generate an extra $300,000.

As to buying for the purpose of resale, I think this edition will go up in price nicely, considering the low starting price and quality+rarity of the edition.
MrLevity

Post by MrLevity »

As to buying for the purpose of resale, I think this edition will go up in price nicely, considering the low starting price and quality+rarity of the edition.
I think your last comment has tipped the scales for me to buy a few, especially now, according to Waterstones site, Hatchards stock is in the yellow.
Even though they are still available, people are still selling them for double on ebay.

Please!, somebody talk me out of it and tell me its a stupid idea.... before my wife finds out. ;)
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Please!, somebody talk me out of it and tell me its a stupid idea.... before my wife finds out. ;)
Here are some SK books I passed on in the last few years:

1. Extra copies of the limited CUJO from Mysterious press, I could have had them for $75 each
2. Same as above on DANSE MACABRE
3. I was at a convention where numerous copies of the signed limited FIRESTARTER from Phantasia Press were sitting on a table begging to be bought at the original price.
4. A postcard sent to me by a book dealer saying he "only had 20 copies left of SIX STORIES for $135 each"; I didn't even buy one.
5. The limited BLACK HOUSE from Grant which I passed on for some unknown reason.

Maybe this will help with your decision!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

"Never resist temptation--it may not pass your way again." -- Lazarus Long (aka Robert A. Heinlein).

John