The Shining First Editions, BCEs and Gutter Codes

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
OneFathom

The Shining First Editions, BCEs and Gutter Codes

Post by OneFathom »

True 1st trade edition of The Shining has a gutter code of "R49." That we all know. Soon after the editions go into BCEs and then back into trade editions. Examples...

*"R52" is a stated book club edition (I haven't seen an "R50" or "R51".

*S3"..."S10" and "S14" are all trade editions with $8.95 on the dust jacket just like the "R49." I also know of an "S19" which is $8.95, I believe.

What is the rationale between going back and forth between trade/BCE/trade like that?
jhanic

Re: The Shining First Editions, BCEs and Gutter Codes

Post by jhanic »

I would assume different print runs as they needed them. The initial R49, then the book club runs, then more trade copies.

John
OneFathom

Post by OneFathom »

Thanks, John. The whole gutter code aspect of Mr. King's books is fascinating to me. Way to drop that knowledge.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... ode-theory

John
heatherhunter

Post by heatherhunter »

I have come across a copy of The Shining, while clearing out my dad's house, that has a gutter code of S2, no dust jacket. Any idea what edition and printing this might be?

Also, there are "withdrawn" stamps inside the front and back covers. As well as what looks like the remnants of a library card sleeve. So, I'm guessing it was a Library book at one point.

Thanks!
dougsummers

Post by dougsummers »

I have a copy with a gutter code of MP4W. Was wondering what edition and printing this was. Any ideas?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

dougsummers wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 pm I have a copy with a gutter code of MP4W. Was wondering what edition and printing this was. Any ideas?
Since this isn't in line with the known gutter codes, which span the mid 70's to mid 80's my guess is that it's some later reprint after that. Also I'd hazard a guess it's a book club edition (check for a price on the inner front flap of the DJ).