Value of PC copies

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
George at C-Springs

Re: Value of PC copies

Post by George at C-Springs »

I think it's definitely collector's preference, just as is the choice to collect proofs, remarques, foreign editions, etc. I think a complete PC collection of everything King would be a pretty impressive accomplishment (and now that I think about it, perhaps something to pursue). I simply cannot afford lettereds or low numbers of everything King, there's no two ways around that, and I look for deals that appeal to me whenever I can. While my lowest number is a black 7/1000 Eyes of the Dragon, I really do like my Little Sisters of Eluria S/L PC. It's a gorgeous volume, traycased, signed by King and Whelan, with Publisher's Copy in Red, a Crimson King eye doodle by Whelan, and I got it at a great price. What's not to like?

On the other hand, I'm anxiously awaiting my first lettered (The Passage) that I paid through the nose for. I know it will be a single letter, just a matter of which one ... and I don't care that it won't be an A ... and I'm working with Jill Baumann to have a private commission remarque done in it. Will it be my favorite? Have to wait and see, but I know I'll personally like it more because of the remarque than the letter!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

1. The publisher has records of who gets what letter or number.
2. The same letter or number usually goes to the same buyer for each book published.
3. Sometimes the letter/number is on the invoice.
4. Sometimes the letter/number is on a sticker on the outside of the book.

It's quite easy to determine if there is a dispute.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

George at Ramstein wrote: I simply cannot afford lettereds or low numbers of everything King, there's no two ways around that, and I look for deals that appeal to me whenever I can.
And that is it exactly. People who cannot afford the lettered/numbered editions, go for PC copies. They are second best.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I purchse lettered books from Sub Press and Gauntlet, and the letters I receive vary, they do not send me the same letter every time. I never asked for the same letter though, I always assumed the first order they received got letter "A" and so on down the line.

That's a good point about the publisher's knowing who they sent what letter to. I should have realized that!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
George at Ramstein wrote: I simply cannot afford lettereds or low numbers of everything King, there's no two ways around that, and I look for deals that appeal to me whenever I can.
And that is it exactly. People who cannot afford the lettered/numbered editions, go for PC copies. They are second best.
Again that's personal preference. I'm at the point where I have enough "out of series" type books that I keep an eye out for some specifically and pass on the numbered copies. For example I have two out of series of the limited edition Skeleton Crew (out of 25) I've been keeping my ear to the ground for more out of series but I just sold off a numbered one last week. I'd rather have more of the out of series to match my collection then a numbered.

That's the neat thing about collections, they can morph in ways you don't expect.
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

George at Ramstein wrote:On the other hand, I'm anxiously awaiting my first lettered (The Passage) that I paid through the nose for. I know it will be a single letter, just a matter of which one ... and I don't care that it won't be an A ... and I'm working with Jill Baumann to have a private commission remarque done in it. Will it be my favorite? Have to wait and see, but I know I'll personally like it more because of the remarque than the letter!
Same here. It'll be interesting to see if CD goes the distance with this edition given the relatively high MSRP ($500). I have no idea what letter I'll wind-up with.

If Jill is amenable and the price isn't too stratospheric, I'd be interested in obtaining a remarque, too.
George at C-Springs

Post by George at C-Springs »

I wrote to her directly (jillbauman@earthlink.net) and she was great to work with; I learned quite a few things. All you've got to tell her is how big a remarque you'd like (2", 4", 6", etc.) and whether you'd like a simple one or something more detailed. Her prices are more than fair, better than if (for example) you got one done through one of CD's remarque offers. I even coordinated to have Mindy & Brian at CD ship directly to her, rather than have it sent here to Germany and then me having to send it back. The only obstacle right now is not knowing when the #$%& book is going to be published and shipped, but Jill is aware of that as well.

I can't wait to see what she does. I believe as long as her workload permits that she'll be happy to accomodate you; sure can't hurt to ask!

Good luck --

George
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

Hi, George. I wrote to Jill with the email address you provided and she responded almost immediately and said she'd be happy to include a remarque. Fantastic news. I told her I'd be looking for something as detailed as possible and would pay accordingly. Like you, I'm now just waiting for the book to be published.

Thanks muchly for the contact info. Oh, she said you weren't in trouble for letting me/the forum know. ;)