List of Earliest Book Club Edition Printings

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jhanic

Re: List of Earliest Book Club Edition Printings

Post by jhanic »

The BCE of Black House is identical to the true first except:

No price on the dust jacket
The lettering on the spine is gold, where the true first is silver.

Otherwise they are identical.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jhanic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm The BCE of Black House is identical to the true first except:

No price on the dust jacket
The lettering on the spine is gold, where the true first is silver.

Otherwise they are identical.

John
Is there a number line in the BCE copyright page John? If you've got one laying around what's the lowest number?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The numberline in both is identical. Starts with 2.

John
Noxus35

Post by Noxus35 »

TheCollector wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am Well we won't know who's right unless we try it :) If anyone can figure out some way to at least distinguish 1st BCE editions from other printings yeah let us know and I"ll be happy to include it on the site where appropriate.

I believe that i own a BCE copy of IT because there's no price on DJ , no grey end paper and something is missing on the CP.
Also i found the code "MP10X" (printed vertically) on the bottom right corner of page 1142.
20190823_170432.jpg

But the height, width and weight are the same as a true first edition. 🤔

I have seen novels on e-bay that even have "book club edition" printed at the bottom of either the DJ or CP.
Screenshot_20190823-174314_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

It's a good reader copy. Not a collectable.

John
Morton_Rainey44663

Post by Morton_Rainey44663 »

I'm not sure if this thread is still being discussed here, but if so I'd have to jump in on it to say that yes there are people that collect BCEs and only BCEs. The Doubleday myths and tales never fade for some who believe that Nelson went out under the status title EPIC just because on his death bed he still denied a gutter code ever existed, and was misprints turned conspiracies. If one collects true first prints of any genre then they would have to have some BCEs in the collection no matter what. Any title that was actually published by Doubleday was guaranteed true first was book club and usually 6 to 12 weeks earlier than trade editions. Book club members had the titles before trade copies hit shelves, it was the incentive for joining the club. Doubleday had the printing world in a chokehold with the clubs created. If it's a book club edition it came from his printers. Many of them were actually true first trades also, just switched dust jackets. With all the telltale signs he used it's not too difficult to figure out either. I know BCE collectors, I am one. I traded a first print copy of the illustrated man by bradbury for a true first bce copy not long ago and the only differences in the 2 were jacket price and gutter codes. The codes don't lie, if it's earlier than trade then it's earlier. And Doubleday never changed the printing plates, he bought them and ran them, no edits or first print removals or anything at all - except the gutter code. R.I.P. Nelson Doubleday
thealex

Post by thealex »

Sounds like you have a later printing book with a Book Club jacket.

----------------------
Smart Home Cherish is all about decorating your precious home. We provide the best knowledge, ideas and products recommendation for modern home decoration.