1st edition Misery

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Bounce0320

1st edition Misery

Post by Bounce0320 »

I have a question regarding the 1st edition of Misery. At first glance, the two copies that I have appear to be 1st editions (both state 'First Published in 1987 by Viking Penguin'). However, at the bottom of the copyright page, below the ISBN #, one book states 'Printed in the United States of America by R.R. Donnelley & Sons, Harrisonburg, Virginia' and the other states 'Printed in the United States of America by Arcata Graphics, Fairfield, Pennsylvania'. All other information on the CW pages are the same, however the latter has orange endpapers while the former's are white. Any thoughts as to why the difference?
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: 1st edition Misery

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I have the Virginia one with ORANGE endpapers. Sounds like they did the same thing as with EYES OF THE DRAGON and had more then one company printing the 1st edition.
biomieg

Post by biomieg »

There is a post on the forum describing something similar for Eyes of The Dragon. Apparently, even a 1st edition/1st printing is sometimes printed by different parties.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Seems like the question was posted twice, so I merged the two posts together.

Amazing attention to detail :idea: , I never thought of multiple companies being contracted to print the a 1st edition.

Now to figure out which company actually got the books off their presses first Mwahahahaha
biomieg

Post by biomieg »

I just went and checked and my copy is printed by Donnelley, but has the orange endpapers instead the white. The plot thickens.... ;)
ur2ndbiggestfan

So much MISERY! One of my favorite King books!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Very nice! That IS the US first printing of the mass-market paperback with the faux second cover, isn't it?

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

[quote="jhanic"]Very nice! That IS the US first printing of the mass-market paperback with the faux second cover, isn't it?

Yup, in mint un-read condition just like the day I bought it.
crimsonking

Post by crimsonking »

I have two printed by Donnelley, one has orange end-papers, the other one has white.
ChristineB

Post by ChristineB »

My copy has orange end papers and was from PA.

Would be interesting to know when each place printed them. Although we could go nuts with this stuff. :roll: :D *looks around the forums* wait I guess we are already there. :P