How to value SK first appearance stories?

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
jhanic

Re: How to value SK first appearance stories?

Post by jhanic »

Good luck, Fran.

You might also check out the bulletin board at http://www.TheDarkTower.com/palaver.

There are lots of VERY knowledgable collectors in the Calvin's Corner forum.

John
fcsaunders

Post by fcsaunders »

Thanks, John. I'll do that.

Fran
batsker

Post by batsker »

I've actually been looking to pick up both of the first two Startling Mystery with King, and from my research, I'm looking to go less than $200 for Glass Floor, but I'm being patient, as normally I would put it a bit above that for a good copy.
fcsaunders

Post by fcsaunders »

Batksker, thanks for the note. I actually sold my "Glass Floor" for 262 USD and my "Reaper" for 164 USD. They were both MINT. The market is soft right now, but one reputable dealer told me they should go for around 300 each or a bit highter. Elsewhere the two sold together for 500 USD.

As an aside, the dealers I spoke to are at a loss as to why the King market is so soft right now. There is alot of speculation, but no one has put their finger on the cause. My own thought is just that a lot of people are putting their pin money on gas and don't have as much to play with. This would mean that it's not only the SK market that is soft, but all collectible authors. Unlucky for me that I had to unload my items now.

Hope this helps some of you who may be looking to either buy or sell your Startling Mystery stories.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I don't know if I agree with you that one of the reasons the King market is soft right now is because of the price of gas. The softening of the market started a few years ago. I personally think it's because King's later books just aren't as popular as the earlier ones, thus not bringing in the new readers, not to mention new collectors. Look at how often the latest King book stays in the top ten listings, compared to how his earlier works did.

John
fcsaunders

Post by fcsaunders »

You may be right. I was only guessing that people didn't have a whole lot of extra money to spend on extra items right now. If the trends continues, then I'd say you were definitely right. Maybe there's just a glut? It's too bad, really.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Actually, I'm using this period to pick up some bargains to fill holes in my collection. I don't have a complete set of either US or UK first editions (although I'm only missing two for the US) and have been able to pick up some nice items.

John