Do you want a S/L Under the Dome Slipcase?

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!

Are you interested in an Under the Dome slipcase?

Yes, for sure
95%
Maybe
4%
No
1%

Total votes: 84

TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Do you want a S/L Under the Dome Slipcase?

Post by TheCollector »

fleggett wrote:So, what's the current plan? Slipcases and/or traycases? For which editions? I'd really prefer a bang-up traycase for the S&S limited ($50+). The UK edition already comes with an interestingly designed slipcase, so I don't think one needs to be developed for it.
The plan is a slipcase, for all us editions Limited, Gift and 1st. Those that preferred a traycase typically said they'd also be OK with a slipcase, while many folks that preferred a slipcase said they would pass a traycase up completely due to the cost.

HOWEVER (and I hesitate to even go here right now) for those folks who realy want a traycase I'm talking with a custom wooden case manufacturer to make a bulk run of engraved wooden traycases for Under the Dome.... My biggest obsticle is price, typically his engraved traycases start at $135 and go up from there. I'm trying to get the cost down to the $80-$100 range or less. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that each case is made by hand and takes hours to make, so there's only so low the price is going to go.

This is a completely different beast then a cloth based slipcase/traycase, both in terms of style and labor. Many people aren't going to want one, but some people will I think.

We'll see how thing work out.

Oh, plenty of boxes at my door last night, none of them the prototype though :o
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

Hmmm, intriguing. If the wooden traycases don't work out, will there be different versions of slipcases for each edition, or will it be a one-size-fits-all? I'd be willing to pay $50+ for a slipcase if it had a bunch of fixin's, like an onlay, spine stamping, embossing/debossing, etc.

Regarding the possibility of an $80-$100 traycase...I could go for that depending on how nice they turn out. A friend of a friend specializes in wood construction and engraving, so I know the potential for a truly gorgeous wooden traycase exists. The Stand's traycase was lacquered wood, wasn't it?

Are there any examples of this manufacturer's efforts online? Something that might tip the checkbook scales, so to speak?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Since the editions are so close in size (limited and gift exactly) I'm looking for the slipcase to be a one size fits all. It will have foil stamping on both the front and spine, also potentially some debossing. but it'll be much cheaper then $50, that's traycase price range.

Speaking of traycases, sure here's a basic pic of what would be offered. Although I'm working out things like stamping on the spine, stain color, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleggett

Post by fleggett »

Well, slipcases can get fairly expensive if you really jazz them up.

That traycase definitely has potential. Looks pretty smooth with rounded edges, which is a nice touch when dealing with wood. Keep us posted!
nyy3723a

Post by nyy3723a »

I will be in for 2.
jemaher

Post by jemaher »

That looks good definitely put me down for 3 tray-cases
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Just to be clear this isn't my SLIPcase, rather a TRAYcase I'm working on with another company. It's quite a bit more expensive then a typical case.... I don't have a prototype up and ready to show you guys yet of the actual slipcase I'm making.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Taking into account the cost of materials (The cost of oak around where I am can run almost $5 US per board ft. That means a piece of unfinished oak wood 1 inch thick x 12 inches wide x 12 inches long unless I've forgotten what my father taught me.) and the amount of time it would take to build, I would say $135 is a really good price. I don't believe my father, who owns a woodshop, could make for any less than that. I'd guess a minimum of five hours assembly time if he had the materials in hand along with the design. If he had to design it himself, the cost would be more obviously. This time estimate does NOT take staining and any stamping or routing that would have to be done to the outside of the traycase. Taking that into account, two days turnover time would be the minimum for a traycase, but a good woodworker could assemble several cases during the five hour estimate due to having templates and being able to plane and cut several cases worth of wood at a time.

That's just an estimate from my experience working with him, not from having actually built anything like a traycase.
kieron

Post by kieron »

Thanks for the insight Sam, I fond it really interesting, and it certainly makes the price sound very reasonable. If I can possibly afford it, I'll definitely go for one of these traycases. Depends more on when I'll be shelling it out than the price itself, which, as I say, is more than fair.
nyy3723a

Post by nyy3723a »

Any guestimate as to when slipcases may be put up for sale?