Under the Dome

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
demorgan

Re: Under the Dome

Post by demorgan »

This may shed some light on the situation(maybe). This is what the moderator at the SK site posted.
What I know that you don't is that Hodder did ask Steve for permission to do a signed limited and he agreed to do 500. I don't know if that is still their plan or at what phase of the production they may be in, but regardless of whether they've announced anything, they did ask and received permission to do one.

There are legal restrictions for publishers to not enter another market. Steve's agent explained this to me at one time but I don't recall the finer details of what those restrictions are. It may also be as simple as their not wanting to deal with shipping internationally and having to deal with all the extra work of preparing the customs documents necessary to ship outside the U.S.
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

and here is a previous post:

was wondering if anyone knows why Scribner will only deal with domestic US market and not allow international customers to subscribe to the collectors edition.

I can't believe in this day and age and with the internet that they cannot manage to receive orders and ship internationally !

Very disappointed that I cannot even participate in it

THE RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE COMMENT:
Originally Posted by Moderator
My understanding is that it is because it would infringe upon Hodder & Stoughton's market and their publication of a signed collector's edition.
Last edited by demorgan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
thl

Post by thl »

IHMO,
there should not be problems dealing with US shipping address (no customs) and non-US credit cards. This book should be labelled "US residents with US credit cards only"...
BTW in Italy there will never be a limited edition of any kind, so no market infringment :(
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Simon & Schuster has launched a site for Under the Dome. This seems to be where the cover will be unveiled. There are a lot of other neat things here too.

http://promo.simonandschuster.com/under ... 7_main.php

John
Marco

Post by Marco »

well, I didn't expect this but I received a reply from the customer service at S&S last Thursday about my cancelled order for the signed limited. It appears the reason for cancellation was having a non-US billing address and since I placed the order myself (from The Netherlands) it came from an IP-address that's not in the US. The good news though is that they gave me another chance to order a copy through my acquaintance (the person whose address I provided as shipping address). She had to place the order herself with her own creditcard (US billing address) and if that wouldn't work out (the order is now being processed) S&S will look at another possibility. So above expectation the S&S customer service has been very helpful and that's something I'd like to share with you all. As long as one's being polite, good things can happen!
:P I'm just so happy :P
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Great news Marco, congrats!

Interesting to know that their order system cancels orders by IP address instead of looking at the mailing/billing address.

Did you just e-mail their generic customer service e-mail and explain the situation?
Marco

Post by Marco »

@Tomas: As soon as I received the cancellation I sent an email through the S&S website asking why my order was cancelled. They replied explaining that I provided an invalid (i.e. non-US) billing address.
I then sent another email explaining that I thought the website wasn't clear about needing a US shipping AND billing address, if I'd have known that, I'd have made arrangements with my acquaintance in the US. In this second email I mentioned that I hoped that there was a way to straighten things out.
They sent me an email with a special link which allowed me to replace my order after updating my account with a US billing address, they suggested not to place the order myself since it might be cancelled due to a non-US IP address so I asked my acquaintance to place it for me.
Anyway, this suggests that there are still copies available.
To all fellow collectors that missed out: I believe that if you email these people explaining your situation you might get as lucky as me and be able to replace your order.
demorgan

Post by demorgan »

posted by the moderator at SK msg board:
I received word today that Hodder is sending the tip sheets for their signed collectors' edition of Under the Dome to Steve this week.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I've been reading the board for quite a while - love it.
Noticed that Betts has 2 signed UTD's up for $400.00 each.
Didn't see this posted, and maybe too late as only have two, but who knows - maybe they are still there.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Because there were 1500 copies of the signed editions printed, I think asking $400 before they're even shipped is a bit much. Issue price was $200.

John