Under the Dome

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
biomieg

Re: Under the Dome

Post by biomieg »

Marco wrote:Unfortunately I'm in the same position as kieron since I live in The Netherlands. I've sent an email to Scribner asking if there's any possibility to obtain a copy of the signed/limited edition for people that live abroad, but I won't keep my hopes up. Is there any chance that some of you collectors that live in the US are willing to help us non-US collectors? I wouldn't mind paying some extra for the trouble but hate going to Ebay for this...

Long days & pleasant nights to all
My sentiments exactly, Marco! (I'm also from The Netherlands, by the way... are you by any chance also a member of the stephenking.nl forum?).

- Michaël
Marco

Post by Marco »

well Michaël, let's hope there's a way for us to get hold of a copy...

-Marco

ps. I'm not a member of the dutch SK forum or fanclub but feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
kieron

Post by kieron »

Hi guys,

I've sent Simon & Scuster a grovelling e-mail too. Let's hope the build up of pressure works! Of course, I'll post as soon as I hear anything from them.
e_taylor

Post by e_taylor »

kieron wrote:Hi guys,

I've sent Simon & Scuster a grovelling e-mail too. Let's hope the build up of pressure works! Of course, I'll post as soon as I hear anything from them.
I'm in Canada, so I'm also out on this one.

But emails to giant publishing company won't help. They are making their money off the trade edition, so complaints on the limited won't phase them. Also, this is the US edition, so as far as they are concerned, it won't matter if international folks get left out.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Book publishers will take their money where they can get it these days.

Stephen King and his long-time publisher intend to sell 1,500 copies of a signed, limited edition of his upcoming “Under the Dome” to his most fervent collectors at $200 a pop.

“We’re doing this to generate additional revenue,” says Susan Moldow, publisher of Simon & Schuster’s Scribner imprint. “We used to have a regular business of signed first edition mysteries, but we stopped because there wasn’t an additional mark-up.”

There will be this time: Presuming all 1,500 sell out, the print run will generate $300,000, to be divvied up between Mr. King and Scribner. Ms. Moldow declined to elaborate on the profit split, saying, “We have a unique joint venture with Steve, the terms of which we don’t disclose. But he does well.”

She said the book will be available shortly for pre-ordering from Simon & Schuster’s Web site, as well as a site operated by Mr. King.

“This is fighting back against the disappearance of the book as an object,” she adds. The novel goes on sale Nov. 10. Efforts to reach Mr. King were unsuccessful.

On his Web site, Mr. King offers this teaser about the novel’s plot:

“On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away.

“Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.”
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/07/24/stephen-king/

Thanks to Bev Vincent for posting this.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

That's a very interesting article, thanks John (and bev :) I wonder what SK's split is on these? I would guess something between $50,000 - $100,000 depending on how much the book costs to make.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Just a note to say that I should have my copy of the UK ARC of Under the Dome in my hands by the end of next week. I'll be posting pictures then.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'm eager to see them. Did I see somwhere there are 200 ARC copies floating around for Under the Dome?....forever destined to be abbreviated UTD :)
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

My copy is supposed to be #143 of 200.

I don't know how many US ARCs there will be. It has not yet been published/distributed.

John
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

UK Under the Dome proof front:

UK Under the Dome proof back:

UK Under the Dome proof publisher's letter:

UK Under the Dome proof ad:

John